Service Organizations?

Old March 10th 17, 10:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vandy Terre

Default Service Organizations?

I need to get out of the house and be around
intelligent people so I am thinking a Service
Organization might be the answer. It is just that
so many of the ones I know any thing about seem to
be about making money rather than helping folks in
need. Suggestions please?
Old March 10th 17, 11:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
John Weiss[_4_]

On 3/10/2017 14:40, Vandy Terre wrote:
I need to get out of the house and be around
intelligent people so I am thinking a Service
Organization might be the answer. It is just that
so many of the ones I know any thing about seem to
be about making money rather than helping folks in
need. Suggestions please?

There are WAY too many such organizations to list here! What are your
interests? What do you want to DO?

Habitat for Humanity
Meals on Wheels
Guide Dogs for the Blind
Disabled American Veterans

Old March 11th 17, 08:13 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black[_2_]

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017, Vandy Terre wrote:

I need to get out of the house and be around
intelligent people so I am thinking a Service
Organization might be the answer. It is just that
so many of the ones I know any thing about seem to
be about making money rather than helping folks in
need. Suggestions please?

I thought by definition a "service organization" wsa about service.

They often do align along business lines. I think generally you
do need to be in business to be a Rotary Club member (but I'm not certain)
but they have all kinds of speakers come in, not related to business (at
least not here), and they have various fundraisers that are used for
projects near and far. The local one were deep into the building of a
local "old age home". Their big fundraiser for a long time wsa an annual
'garage sale", but they've abandoned it again "too much trouble" while
other projects have the potential of less work and more income.

Michael

Old March 14th 17, 10:15 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 2:40:27 PM UTC-8, Vandy Terre wrote:
I need to get out of the house and be around
intelligent people so I am thinking a Service
Organization might be the answer. It is just that
so many of the ones I know any thing about seem to
be about making money rather than helping folks in
need. Suggestions please?

No matter what type of volunteer work you do, there is someone making money from it. Take Meals On Wheels. The gas station is making money. The food suppliers from farmer and fertilizer to packaging preserving. Even the MOW CEO is pulling in a salary.

When you look in your neighbors rice bowl, it should be to make sure he has enough, not that he has too much.

You could get a job at Wal Mart and spend much of your time telling people how unhealthy much of the junk food is. Or tell them to shop elsewhere and buy American made stuff, telling them they don't so much junk, not to buy cheap stuff and instead invest their money. That way you do good and the company didn't make anything off of you. I did that for three months before quitting because I wouldn't work Thanksgiving.