Flashlight

Old May 28th 17, 01:10 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

Default Flashlight

On Sat, 27 May 2017 11:23:07 -0700, Bob F wrote:

I wonder if the current battery failure problems may result from the
modern practice of buying large blocks of batteries at Costco in one
purchase instead of a package of 4 when we need them. So they sit around
for years until we finally put them to use. No surprise they don't last
long.

I've been using the same Eneloop and Sony rechargeables for about 7
years. I have only AA and AAA Mini-Mags. I refuse to buy anything
using C or D or non-LED flashlights.
Went to Sony when a basement flood took out my Eneloop chargers.
IMO they last longer on a charge and have better chargers, which also
charge my older Eneloops.
The LED Mini-Mags are good, but not perfect. They will roll off a
work surface, so I put a tab tie loop in the lanyard hole.
The on/off/focus is clumsy to use one-handed. But I like them.

Old May 28th 17, 04:00 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
analogdial

Bob F wrote:

I wonder if the current battery failure problems may result from the
modern practice of buying large blocks of batteries at Costco in one
purchase instead of a package of 4 when we need them. So they sit around
for years until we finally put them to use. No surprise they don't last
long.

If my batteries failed after their expiration date, I wouldn't think
there was anything remarkable about that.

It could be that some distributors have extreme temperature variations
where they store the batteries and some don't.

Old July 1st 17, 08:40 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Tue, 23 May 2017 15:45:17 -0400, Michael Black wrote:

There is a tiny red led that flashes when it's "off", that sort of thing
is supposed to be low current, but I don't know. So either that small red
LED is draining the batteries (three either AAA or AA, I forget) or
something else isn't remaining off when the switch is off.

If that red Led is flashing all the time, its draining the batteries.
Even if it takes a few months, it is still drawing current. That is a
very stupid design. What is the point of having a flashing red LED when
the thing is turned off. When I turn something off, I want it ALL THE
WAY OFF. Otherwise it's killing my batteries or running up my home
electric bill.

If I owned that thing, I'd open it and clip the wire to that red LED.

Old July 1st 17, 06:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 07/01/2017 05:01 AM, Derald wrote:
Vic Smith wrote:

The LED Mini-Mags are good, but not perfect. They will roll off a
work surface, so I put a tab tie loop in the lanyard hole.
The on/off/focus is clumsy to use one-handed. But I like them.

Wow; you know it's been raining for days and keeping me out of the
veggie garden, if I'm reading month-old newsgroup posts.
When the LED mini maglite first appeared in stores here, DW&I each
grabbed one, although I do not care for LED flashlights—the light
produced is the "wrong" color but that's a separate issue. My LED light
was the standard mark I, mod 2 "zoom" light and hers one of those fancy
jobs with different light levels, flashing beam, SOS, whatever. Those
"features" turned out to be more nuisance that benefit.

Yes, but the light itself at whatever zoom level needed is really
slick. The first one I saw (TruTorch) belonged to a woman who used it
to illuminate the Lehman Cave in Nevada and I was struck with instant
envy, although not $56 worth. There are lots of Chinese flashlights
that look exactly the same, but I wanted something with easy return
capability. I eventually found the $20 Bell&Howell as-seen-on-TV model
at Dick's sporting goods right across the street. 45-day
no-questions-asked return policy. Factory lifetime guarantee. I guess
B&H has been around long enough for that to not be a total joke,
although I didn't read the details.

Anyway, I love it. I want to go to another cave now!

At any rate,
after just a few months of use, on lenses and reflectors, both of the
lamps began accumulating a film of very fine grey dust that I took to
be some sort of dry lubricant; carbon or moly, maybe, that reduced light
output more than a little—bummer. Any effort at cleaning was only
temporary and the deposits returned after only a day's use. Both
flashlights were divided between the local co-generating landfill and
the local aluminum recycler and we're back to using two incandescent
minimags that have been in service since 1986 or thereabouts. Good
luck.

--
Cheers, Bev
"My life outside of USENET is so full of love and kindness that I have

Old July 2nd 17, 12:17 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

On Sat, 01 Jul 2017 08:01:50 -0400, Derald wrote:

Vic Smith wrote:

The LED Mini-Mags are good, but not perfect. They will roll off a
work surface, so I put a tab tie loop in the lanyard hole.
The on/off/focus is clumsy to use one-handed. But I like them.

Wow; you know it's been raining for days and keeping me out of the
veggie garden, if I'm reading month-old newsgroup posts.
When the LED mini maglite first appeared in stores here, DW&I each
grabbed one, although I do not care for LED flashlights—the light
produced is the "wrong" color but that's a separate issue. My LED light
was the standard mark I, mod 2 "zoom" light and hers one of those fancy
jobs with different light levels, flashing beam, SOS, whatever. Those
"features" turned out to be more nuisance that benefit. At any rate,
after just a few months of use, on lenses and reflectors, both of the
lamps began accumulating a film of very fine grey dust that I took to
be some sort of dry lubricant; carbon or moly, maybe, that reduced light
output more than a little—bummer. Any effort at cleaning was only
temporary and the deposits returned after only a day's use. Both
flashlights were divided between the local co-generating landfill and
the local aluminum recycler and we're back to using two incandescent
minimags that have been in service since 1986 or thereabouts. Good
luck.

Mine were bought in 2012,13,14 and are still crystal clear. Maybe it
was the batteries you used. Mine are all standard, no flashing mode.
Amazon shows I bought 6, but damn, I only see 3 here. One of the
missing AA ones ****ed me off by flickering, but that's apparently a
contact problem that can be fixed by a light sanding of the end cap.
I'll try that if it ever shows up.
Just ordered a second AAA Mag Lite, as it's easy to clip on a shirt
pocket and throws all the light I need.
I'll only buy the silver finish now, as they don't hide themselves.
Old July 2nd 17, 05:55 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 07/02/2017 04:52 AM, Derald wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

I've never seen a "tactical" flashlight in reality but from the
adverts I see on late night teevee, I surmise them to be flashlight
equivalents of the GM Hummer. What is "tactical" about a flashlight?

Imagine being attacked by someone and smushing the bright end of the
flashlight into his eye. That part is sort of serrated to facilitate
this action. It also has a strobe (3rd or maybe 4th position, I guess
if you needed this function you'd remember) which confuses your enemy.
I guess.

If "tactical" means "well lighted head bashing", then, nothing surpasses
a 3 or 5 D cell Minimag. Unyielding aluminum supported by the mass of 3
or 5 D cells is just about as sociable as a flashlight can be....

This is small. I don't think you could bash somebody on the head with
it, although it might substitute for a roll of pennies in your fist. I
think the eye-smushing/confusing functions are what they mean. There's
also an automatic SOS thing, so you can eye-smush while calling for
help. Cool!

Anyway, I love it. I want to go to another cave now!

If I ever were in a cave, wouldn't need a light because I'd have
lost consciousness losing a fight.

Lehman is an entertainment cave with nice paved floors, lights, guides,
etc. Just like Carlsbad, but smaller. I just wanted to see some stuff
better. The idea of REAL caves where you have to squeeze through tiny
openings and trail a rope behind is unpleasant.

I do spend quite a bit of time
outdoors at night and for that prefer a head lamp. When my inherited
acetylene lamp finally died, I judged new models of them to contain too
much plastic for me to trust to contain a small fire on my forehead and
so moved over to those inexpensive, essentially disposable, LED lights
that are ubiquitous at bigbox checkouts. No good for spotting, because
they're LED, but all right for just doo-dah-ing around outside at night.

I have some of the Harbor Freight yellow headlights, which are too
heavy. I also have some Petzl LED headlights, which are kind of nice.
I don't need either, I just like having them around.

--
Cheers, Bev
everything under control." -Bill Hicks
Old July 3rd 17, 01:59 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

On Sun, 02 Jul 2017 07:52:29 -0400, Derald wrote:

BTW, an accessory is available that provides six flat surfaces to
prevent the rolling problem. I habitually carry the light in a hip
pocket, often-as-not accompanied by pruning shears, and find the added
bulk uncomfortable; want it?

Thanks, but no. It's not a big issue, especially with the AAA. The
pocket clip keeps it from rolling more than an inch or two.

Oh, and minimag repair parts, except for switches, are available
from third parties. I get them from an online outfit doing business as
Zbattery.com. This is not necessarily an endorsement but I have had
good performance from (genuine) minimag repair parts and (aftermarket)
LG cell phone batteries purchased from them.

I'll keep that site in mind for new Mag Lites, but I probably won't
repair a flashlight. Haven't had to repair one yet. The only one I
wished for a new end cap when it broke was a light like this
https://tinyurl.com/y7gvc7ca
Same end cap. A son gave it to me and I used it for about 6 years.
But I never replaced it, since its hard to hold sideways in my mouth.
They do throw an impressive amount of light though.
I just gave my son my old D cell Mag Lites, all working. He won't buy
D cells either, but might unload the flashlights on eBay. Or he can
trash them, like I was going to do.
Old July 3rd 17, 03:52 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 07/03/2017 04:47 AM, Derald wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
I have some of the Harbor Freight yellow headlights, which are too
heavy. I also have some Petzl LED headlights, which are kind of nice.
I don't need either, I just like having them around.

Thanks for the info. Are the lights in the
unavoidable-because-HF-pays mailbox stuffer? Putting HF on the list for
the next 'possum run to check them out.

Every once in a while they have them free with any purchase. I just
looked at mine. Two AA batteries. The light is OK (dark spot in
middle) but the elastic has worn out :-( The elastic on the Petzl is
still fine.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I never understood why anyone would go to the trouble to write a novel