Forever stamps

Old January 20th 17, 08:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Forever stamps

http://time.com/money/4639446/foreve...ps-price-hike/
Old January 20th 17, 08:51 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 12:54:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://time.com/money/4639446/foreve...ps-price-hike/

i [usually] buy forever stamps

but i don't click on links in posts

marc
Old January 20th 17, 09:06 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 12:54:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://time.com/money/4639446/foreve...ps-price-hike/

Can't remember the last time I used a stamp.
Old January 20th 17, 10:25 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 01/20/2017 01:06 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 12:54:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://time.com/money/4639446/foreve...ps-price-hike/

Can't remember the last time I used a stamp.

Tax forms. Maybe something else, but I can't remember. When they first
came out with forever stamps I bought 100, figuring that would be a
lifetime supply. Wrong. I've bought 200 more and have maybe 50 left.

--
Cheers, Bev
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute
Old January 21st 17, 01:49 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black[_2_]

On Fri, 20 Jan 2017, The Real Bev wrote:

On 01/20/2017 01:06 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 12:54:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://time.com/money/4639446/foreve...ps-price-hike/

Can't remember the last time I used a stamp.

Tax forms. Maybe something else, but I can't remember. When they first came
out with forever stamps I bought 100, figuring that would be a lifetime
supply. Wrong. I've bought 200 more and have maybe 50 left.

But at least you weren't stuck all this time buying smaller denominations
to top off the old stamps to the current postage price.

My mother would do that. But I'd just dig through the envelopes of older
stamps, and slap whatever I could find on. They were just sitting around,
so even if the total stamp price was higher than the price of postage, it
got rid of the really old smaller denominations.

But yes, I haven't mailed much in recent years. I was going to enter a
mail-only contest in December, and missed the deadline, me never getting
around to looking for stamps with the right postage.

Michael

Old January 21st 17, 07:35 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 01/20/2017 01:06 PM, wrote:
On Friday, January 20, 2017 at 12:54:04 AM UTC-8, wrote:
http://time.com/money/4639446/foreve...ps-price-hike/

Can't remember the last time I used a stamp.

Tax forms. Maybe something else, but I can't remember. When they first came
out with forever stamps I bought 100, figuring that would be a lifetime
supply. Wrong. I've bought 200 more and have maybe 50 left.

But at least you weren't stuck all this time buying smaller denominations
to top off the old stamps to the current postage price.

My mother would do that. But I'd just dig through the envelopes of older
stamps, and slap whatever I could find on. They were just sitting around,
so even if the total stamp price was higher than the price of postage, it
got rid of the really old smaller denominations.

I was really ****ed when I found out that it was illegal to use the
stamps on the pre-stamped envelopes the charities would send out. My
mom cut them off and glued them to HER envelopes for a long time. (A
friend steamed them off likewise.) I did it for a while, but then got
something returned to me because the stamp had been "used". I claim
it's not used until it goes through the postal system, but the postal
regs say otherwise. *******s.

Since the only things I use stamps for are things with serious deadlines
I'm reluctant to take a chance just to save a buck or less.

I'm also really ****ed that thickness (or perceived thickness) matters.
Son mailed me a CD between cardboard. I mailed one back in the same
cardboard, but MY post office charged me more because it was thicker.
*******s.

AND they put slotted inserts in the corner mailboxes so you can only
drop letters of less thickness than the slot size. AND every goddam
mailbox in town has a pickup time of 10:00 am -- when it actually has a
pickup time given.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I won't allow the half of Americans who pay no taxes to bear the burden
Old January 21st 17, 02:32 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Nyssa[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

At least your area HAS neighborhood dropoff mailboxes. The
only ones around here are those outside the post office.

Meaning you have to drive to the post office to mail the
letter or whatever. So much for saving time/gas by being
able to drop mail into a closer option.

Stand alone mailboxes are even rarer than pay phones in
these parts. Come to think of it, the pay phone that used
to be just outside the post office was pulled out years
ago, and one outside the local mom-and-pop gas station/
convenience store was pulled out just a couple of years
ago. So much for emergencies or for folks who don't have
a cell phone or whose cell phone can't get a signal locally.

Nyssa, who doesn't have a cell phone but does have a post
office box

Old January 21st 17, 05:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 01/21/2017 06:32 AM, Nyssa wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

AND they put slotted inserts in the corner mailboxes so you can
only drop letters of less thickness than the slot size. AND every
goddam mailbox in town has a pickup time of 10:00 am -- when it
actually has a pickup time given.

At least your area HAS neighborhood dropoff mailboxes. The only ones
around here are those outside the post office.

Meaning you have to drive to the post office to mail the letter or
whatever. So much for saving time/gas by being able to drop mail into
a closer option.

I just leave it out for the mailperson to pick up. Don't they do that
where you live?

Stand alone mailboxes are even rarer than pay phones in these parts.
Come to think of it, the pay phone that used to be just outside the
post office was pulled out years ago, and one outside the local
mom-and-pop gas station/ convenience store was pulled out just a
couple of years ago. So much for emergencies or for folks who don't
have a cell phone or whose cell phone can't get a signal locally.

The local post offices have grossly inadequate parking, which is a
monumental nuisance. You either sit in the lot waiting for someone to
leave or park blocks away. The closest PO has a HUGE empty closed-off
parking lot under the power lines right next to it, but instead shares a
tiny lot with a Subway and a few other businesses. The damn lot
belonged to Fedco and has been closed since it went belly-up decades
ago. How much could it cost to rent it from whoever owns the power lines?

Alternatively, spend those $ on another counterdroid :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"I can't stand this proliferation of paperwork. It's useless to
Old January 21st 17, 07:59 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Nyssa[_2_]

The Real Bev wrote:

AND they put slotted inserts in the corner mailboxes so
you can
only drop letters of less thickness than the slot size.
AND every goddam mailbox in town has a pickup time of
10:00 am -- when it actually has a pickup time given.

At least your area HAS neighborhood dropoff mailboxes.
The only ones around here are those outside the post
office.

Meaning you have to drive to the post office to mail the
letter or whatever. So much for saving time/gas by being
able to drop mail into a closer option.

I just leave it out for the mailperson to pick up. Don't
they do that where you live?

I have a post office box at the post office, not one in
front of my house, so no.

I only go to check my mail at the post office once a week,
so I usually would have to hold anything going out until
then unless a neighbor is kind enough to drop it off when
they go into town/post office.

[...]

Yes, the parking lots at most post offices are inadequate
and usually poorly designed as far as flow patterns. Even
my small post office has TWO ways in, but only ONE way out.
If you have the misfortune to time your exit from their
lot when the local high school down the road is letting out,
you can sit for 20 minutes waiting for a break in the line
of traffic go get out of the lot. And of course none of those
kids or bus drivers would ever think of waiting for a moment
to let a car or cars out of that lot. grumble

If they had a secondary (allowed two-way traffic) exit onto
the other road, the problem would solve itself.

Geniuses, not.

Nyssa, who wonders how the traffic flow patterns are better
plotted in the planning stages of these parking lots

Old January 21st 17, 08:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 01/21/2017 11:59 AM, Nyssa wrote:

If they had a secondary (allowed two-way traffic) exit onto
the other road, the problem would solve itself.

Geniuses, not.

Nyssa, who wonders how the traffic flow patterns are better
plotted in the planning stages of these parking lots

If they were smart enough to do that they'd have better jobs :-(

If it were being done now they would design it so as to impede traffic,
thereby encouraging the use of bicycles and public transportation.
Assholes.

--
Cheers, Bev
Too many freaks, not enough circuses.