Affordable Fallout Shelters?

Old February 5th 17, 06:21 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default Affordable Fallout Shelters?

Does anyone know of any plans for an affordable Fallout Shelter?
I've found plans online, but they are very complex and probably cost
more than I paid for my home to build them. Being retired and on a fixed
income, I simply can not afford something like those.

However, since Trump is in the Whitehouse, there has never been a better
and more important time to prepare for the inevitable.

I'm sure there are ways to build cost effective shelters. After all,
safety is not just reserved for the rich. (Except in Trumps fantasy
world).

Old February 5th 17, 05:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black[_2_]

On Sat, 4 Feb 2017, The Real Bev wrote:

On 02/04/2017 09:21 PM, wrote:
Does anyone know of any plans for an affordable Fallout Shelter?
I've found plans online, but they are very complex and probably cost
more than I paid for my home to build them. Being retired and on a fixed
income, I simply can not afford something like those.

However, since Trump is in the Whitehouse, there has never been a better
and more important time to prepare for the inevitable.

I'm sure there are ways to build cost effective shelters. After all,
safety is not just reserved for the rich. (Except in Trumps fantasy
world).

A lot of people built them back in the early '60s. It's probably cheaper to
buy a house with one than to build a new one. Besides, what with turnover,
the neighbors probably don't know about the old shelter.

They made a comeback in the eighties, so old survivalist magazines might
have more recent instructions on how to build one.

When I was 5, we spent six months in Copenhagen Denmark. And one of the
neighbor's houses had a bomb shelter in the backyard, I saw it.

Decades later, when thinking about that, I assumed it was part of that
late fifties/early sixties thing, people worried about nuclear bombs.
But then in reading about WWII, specifically about POWs escaping and then
hiding in a bomb shelter in someone's backyard, I realized that it was
probably left over from WWII. It didn't have to be as significant then,
no worry about radiation.

Every so often (or maybe that period has ended), old missile silos go up
for sale. Those might make a decent hideaway, though kind of big and
maybe damp inside.

Michael

Old February 5th 17, 06:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 02/04/2017 09:21 PM, wrote:
Does anyone know of any plans for an affordable Fallout Shelter?
I've found plans online, but they are very complex and probably cost
more than I paid for my home to build them. Being retired and on a fixed
income, I simply can not afford something like those.

However, since Trump is in the Whitehouse, there has never been a better
and more important time to prepare for the inevitable.

I'm sure there are ways to build cost effective shelters. After all,
safety is not just reserved for the rich. (Except in Trumps fantasy
world).

A lot of people built them back in the early '60s. It's probably cheaper to
buy a house with one than to build a new one. Besides, what with turnover,
the neighbors probably don't know about the old shelter.

My first real job -- the director of the lab spent a LOT of time away
from work supervising its construction. We snickered. It's probably a
wine cellar now.

They made a comeback in the eighties, so old survivalist magazines might
have more recent instructions on how to build one.

When I was 5, we spent six months in Copenhagen Denmark. And one of the
neighbor's houses had a bomb shelter in the backyard, I saw it.

Decades later, when thinking about that, I assumed it was part of that
late fifties/early sixties thing, people worried about nuclear bombs.
But then in reading about WWII, specifically about POWs escaping and then
hiding in a bomb shelter in someone's backyard, I realized that it was
probably left over from WWII. It didn't have to be as significant then,
no worry about radiation.

Every so often (or maybe that period has ended), old missile silos go up
for sale. Those might make a decent hideaway, though kind of big and
maybe damp inside.

I saw photos of one which was converted by a very rich person into a
very luxurious home. I don't think they put them in desirable places,
though.

--
Cheers, Bev
"I read somewhere that 77 per cent of all the mentally ill live in
Old February 5th 17, 09:02 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

how about a [used] Storage Container?

just dig a hole [saw a movie with one in it]

they even make Homes with storage containers now

marc
Old February 6th 17, 08:27 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 9:24:18 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Does anyone know of any plans for an affordable Fallout Shelter?
I've found plans online, but they are very complex and probably cost
more than I paid for my home to build them. Being retired and on a fixed
income, I simply can not afford something like those.

Retired and poor. Why would you care if you survived Armageddon? It wouldn't be fun. Your DNA is already degraded enough that you wouldn't make a good "father of mankind". All your friends and family will be gone. Common courtesy would just be a memory.

To think a holocaust is survivable is to suppose it is possible.

Best to take that money and effort and dedicate it to something that will further humanity. Children's hospitals, feeding the poor, affordable education, the Tea Party. Heh heh, just kidding on the last one.
Old February 6th 17, 01:34 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BigDog811

On Sunday, February 5, 2017 at 3:02:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:
how about a [used] Storage Container?

just dig a hole [saw a movie with one in it]

they even make Homes with storage containers now

marc

Bad idea. Those things are designed to be stacked not buried. The sides and tops will buckle under the constant pressure of earth pressing against them. Here's one of several articles you can find with a google search:

http://graywolfsurvival.com/2625/why...a-shtf-bunker/