Puzzling computer problem & fix

Old February 28th 17, 01:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
KenK

Default Puzzling computer problem & fix

I've gotten a lot of help here so thought this might help somene in the
future in return.

Yesterday morning couldn't type into programs with keyboard or start
programs from the bottom of the screen. Lots of other problems as well.
Rebooted several times. About ready to reinstall XP. For some reason tried
MS Word. First off it told me control key was down! Sure enough - stuck
halfway down. Pulled it up and all works again! Will switch to another
keyboard tomorrow before I boot up. I'd have never noticed it without
Word's help.

Just a tip to put in the back of your mind. In all my ~50 years or so of
computing never had this happen before so it really stumped me.

Old February 28th 17, 08:25 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
Susan Bugher

On 2/28/2017 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
I've gotten a lot of help here so thought this might help somene in the
future in return.

Yesterday morning couldn't type into programs with keyboard or start
programs from the bottom of the screen. Lots of other problems as well.
Rebooted several times. About ready to reinstall XP. For some reason tried
MS Word. First off it told me control key was down! Sure enough - stuck
halfway down. Pulled it up and all works again! Will switch to another
keyboard tomorrow before I boot up. I'd have never noticed it without
Word's help.

Dirty keyboard? Turn it upside down and bang it gently - if a lot of
debris falls out that may cure the problem. (Vacuuming keyboards
sometimes helps too.)

Susan

Old March 1st 17, 05:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 02/28/2017 12:25 PM, Susan Bugher wrote:
On 2/28/2017 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
I've gotten a lot of help here so thought this might help somene in the
future in return.

Yesterday morning couldn't type into programs with keyboard or start
programs from the bottom of the screen. Lots of other problems as well.
Rebooted several times. About ready to reinstall XP. For some reason tried
MS Word. First off it told me control key was down! Sure enough - stuck
halfway down. Pulled it up and all works again! Will switch to another
keyboard tomorrow before I boot up. I'd have never noticed it without
Word's help.

Dirty keyboard? Turn it upside down and bang it gently - if a lot of
debris falls out that may cure the problem. (Vacuuming keyboards
sometimes helps too.)

If you have an IBM Model M, take the top off and marvel at how much
cruft is in there. I did it the hard way -- take the keytops off and
use a Q-tip :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"When I was a kid my dad once joked that the best way to

Old March 1st 17, 07:02 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
Michael Black[_2_]

On 2/28/2017 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

It can be quite disgusting.

I opened up one keyboard that was in good shape, and either lost a keytop
or broke something, enough to render that keyboard useless. Sadly it was
a better than average keyboard.

Michael

Old March 2nd 17, 06:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 2/28/2017 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

That's why we buy every model M we find at yard sales! The one I
destroyed with a cup of coffee was from 1988. This one is from 1996.
1988 was a sentimental year :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.
Old March 2nd 17, 06:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
Michael Black[_2_]

On 2/28/2017 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

:-(

It can be quite disgusting.

I opened up one keyboard that was in good shape, and either lost a keytop
or broke something, enough to render that keyboard useless. Sadly it was
a better than average keyboard.

That's why we buy every model M we find at yard sales! The one I destroyed
with a cup of coffee was from 1988. This one is from 1996. 1988 was a
sentimental year :-(

The stupid thing was that I didn't run an "IBM compatible" until 2001, so
there was a long period when I'm sure I could have picked up those early
good keyboards, but had no use for them. I'm not seeing them now, when I
can use them, but I'll keep looking.

We had some warmish weather for the past two weeks, though now it's cold
again, but spring can't be far off, and then garage sales. We aren't the
lucky ones who have them all year around.

Michael

Old March 3rd 17, 05:36 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 2/28/2017 8:54 AM, KenK wrote:
[...]

EXCEPT holiday weekends and weeks when it was assumed to rain on
Thursday, Friday or Saturday. Yard sales used to be a lot better when
people had to pay to put an ad in the paper. Now, since Craigslist is
free, people figure "Oh, I don't feel like getting up this morning,
let's do the sale next Saturday...". Even worse, they say "Corner of
Longden and Santa Anita" so enraged shoppers can't throw a brick through
their window if they drove tens of miles to a good-sounding sale only to
find NOTHING. Almost as bad -- the 'corner of' people don't put up a
sign, just figure you'll drive around the nearby area until you get lucky.

I swear I'd laugh and applaud if I saw somebody else heave a brick
through their window.

--
Cheers, Bev
"My life outside of USENET is so full of love and kindness that I have

Old March 3rd 17, 01:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
Bob F

On 3/2/2017 9:36 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

[...]

Then there are the signs with no date. And the corresponding people that
never take their signs down. No date - no go.
Old March 3rd 17, 06:02 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
Michael Black[_2_]

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017, Bob F wrote:

[...]

I've been tricked by that. I see a sign, it looks new, so I go down that
street, and can't find the sale. I used to assume that it was a leftover
from a previous week, but after Bev's comments (and she's made them
before), I now wonder if someone puts up the signs, then changes their
mind or closes early.

Michael

Old March 3rd 17, 09:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 03/03/2017 05:36 AM, Bob F wrote:
[...]

And the signs on corners with tiny light letters -- suitable for
pedestrians, but NOT for drivers :-(

OTOH, if these people were smart they never would have bought stuff they
were willing to sell for 5 cents or less on the dollar!

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you put the government in charge of the desert, there would