Flashlight

Old May 23rd 17, 05:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

Default Flashlight

A while back a friend and I went through Lehman Cave in Nevada. One of
the people had a wonderful TruTorch flashlight ($56.00) which I
immediately coveted. There are a lot of clones on Amazon and ebay, but
I don't want to buy anything on either place (or alibaba) that I might
want to return. I finally bought one of the $20 as-seen-on-tv
Bell&Howells (same price everywhere) from Dick's across the street.

I'm happy. Bright as **** and seems nicely made. Nuisance to have to
cycle through modes rather than have a simple on/off switch, but you
can't have everything.

Puts the free Harbor Freight flashlights, heretofore much admired, to shame.

--
Cheers, Bev
"As a mortician I always tie the shoelaces of the dead together.

Old May 23rd 17, 06:02 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis

On Tue, 23 May 2017 09:43:03 -0700, The Real Bev
wrote:

A while back a friend and I went through Lehman Cave in Nevada. One of
the people had a wonderful TruTorch flashlight ($56.00) which I
immediately coveted. There are a lot of clones on Amazon and ebay, but
I don't want to buy anything on either place (or alibaba) that I might
want to return. I finally bought one of the $20 as-seen-on-tv
Bell&Howells (same price everywhere) from Dick's across the street.

I'm happy. Bright as **** and seems nicely made. Nuisance to have to
cycle through modes rather than have a simple on/off switch, but you
can't have everything.

Puts the free Harbor Freight flashlights, heretofore much admired, to shame.

What type/number of batteries does it require?

Anyone else notice that alkaline batteries have been getting crappier?
When I was a kid, batteries regularly leaked if left in devices. I had
many ruined toys, radios, flashlights, etc. Then for a while, 20 years
or so, they seemed to get better and I rarely had anything destroyed
by a leaking battery. Now it seems like they leak regularly again.
Maybe because production moved to China/Viet Nam/Maylasia/etc ?

Dennis (evil)
--
My output is down, my income is up, I take a short position on the long bond and
my revenue stream has its own cash flow. -George Carlin
Old May 23rd 17, 08:19 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

wrote:

A while back a friend and I went through Lehman Cave in Nevada. One of
the people had a wonderful TruTorch flashlight ($56.00) which I
immediately coveted. There are a lot of clones on Amazon and ebay, but
I don't want to buy anything on either place (or alibaba) that I might
want to return. I finally bought one of the $20 as-seen-on-tv
Bell&Howells (same price everywhere) from Dick's across the street.

I'm happy. Bright as **** and seems nicely made. Nuisance to have to
cycle through modes rather than have a simple on/off switch, but you
can't have everything.

Puts the free Harbor Freight flashlights, heretofore much admired, to shame.

What type/number of batteries does it require?

3 AAA, not included. They go into one of the Harbor-Freight-like triple
adapters. Some of the clones come with a Li-ion rechargeable, sleeve to
make it fit and a charger, as well as one of the triple-AAA HF adapters.
Can't remember the number, but it should be easy to find.

Anyone else notice that alkaline batteries have been getting crappier?
When I was a kid, batteries regularly leaked if left in devices. I had
many ruined toys, radios, flashlights, etc. Then for a while, 20 years
or so, they seemed to get better and I rarely had anything destroyed
by a leaking battery. Now it seems like they leak regularly again.
Maybe because production moved to China/Viet Nam/Maylasia/etc ?

I bought a block of Maxells maybe 10 years ago, all of which leaked
before they were put in anything. The previous batch of Kirklands
(maybe the ones that expired in 2016) had quite a few leakers, a few of
which leaked still in the package. I bought Duracells at Costco when
they had them on sale but haven't opened that package yet.

Maybe 20 years ago a friend gave me a really nifty little single-AA LED
flashlight. I carried it around for a long time and then left it in an
unused purse. Just found it again. The endcap is now welded to the
body, presumably by the battery. Even putting it in a vise and trying
to open it with channellocks was ineffective. I feel really bad about
it because it was really nice.

--
Cheers, Bev
I'd rather trust the guys in the lab coats who aren't demanding
Old May 23rd 17, 08:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black[_2_]

On Tue, 23 May 2017, Dennis wrote:

Anyone else notice that alkaline batteries have been getting crappier?
When I was a kid, batteries regularly leaked if left in devices. I had
many ruined toys, radios, flashlights, etc. Then for a while, 20 years
or so, they seemed to get better and I rarely had anything destroyed
by a leaking battery. Now it seems like they leak regularly again.
Maybe because production moved to China/Viet Nam/Maylasia/etc ?

I have noticed something, but not sure if it's the batteries or just that
I make more use of batteries now, so there's more chance of damage.

But yes, those old carbon zinc batteries as fifty years ago were awful. I
think anytime we had a flashlight left with batteries in, they'd be
leaking when we needed the flashlight. A really icky mess.

So maybe it was switching to Alkaline at some point that made things
better, I don't know. But I too remember a period when all was well, and
yes, I was using batteries in things other than flashlights.

And while I haven't damaged anything in recent years, I have opened thing
sup to change batteries only to see some sort of whiskers forming on the
batteries, they haven't leaked out to damage things, but the batteries
have something on them.

But as I say, I now have a lot more things that run off batteries, so
maybe it's just that I make more use of batteries. I do have a good
selection of nimh batteries, but sometimes one needs alkaline.

Wait, that's one thing to consider. I haven't seen a bad battery in a
remote, they just eventually need replacing because they are used up. So
maybe it's useage rather than the batteries.

Michael
Old May 23rd 17, 08:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black[_2_]

On Tue, 23 May 2017, The Real Bev wrote:

A while back a friend and I went through Lehman Cave in Nevada. One of the
people had a wonderful TruTorch flashlight ($56.00) which I immediately
coveted. There are a lot of clones on Amazon and ebay, but I don't want to
buy anything on either place (or alibaba) that I might want to return. I
finally bought one of the $20 as-seen-on-tv Bell&Howells (same price
everywhere) from Dick's across the street.

I'm happy. Bright as **** and seems nicely made. Nuisance to have to cycle
through modes rather than have a simple on/off switch, but you can't have
everything.

Puts the free Harbor Freight flashlights, heretofore much admired, to shame.

I was given a nice LED 'troublelight", it can be used as a flashlight, but
also has LEDs oriented more as a lantern, with a clamp for holding in
place, and a hoop at the top for hanging on something. But it uses "chip"
type LEDs, no epoxy coating on them, and I think I read they were Cree. I
forget the company that made it, but it's not low end either.

It's nice, bright and handy, but something draws current all the time. I
kept batteries in it for a few months after I got it about four years ago,
but if I waited long enough between use, the batteries would be dead. Not
useful. One has to unscrew something to get to the batteries, so it's not
easy to take them out when not in use.

There is a tiny red led that flashes when it's "off", that sort of thing
is supposed to be low current, but I don't know. So either that small red
LED is draining the batteries (three either AAA or AA, I forget) or
something else isn't remaining off when the switch is off.

A lot of the cheap LED flashlights just use regular white LEDs, and often
just run them off the batteries. I've taken some apart, and some haven't
even been soldered together, just the leads mashed in somewhere, the
pressure when it's altogether keeping things going, which means an
accasional whack is needed for full brightness. I also notice some of
those cheap LED flashlights, now with quite a few LEDs, often have one or
two not working, I assume bad solder or bad mechanical connection.

I did buy an LED troublight that was more like the cheap LED flashlights
in that it just had more white LEDs, and a nicad battery, and that stopped
working relatively soon after. I got it cheap, I assume it's the sort of
thing you get in the US at Harbor Freight, but it wasn't a great purchase
after all. I started to open it up, but something stalled, maybe I was
missing a screw somewhere. Either I can resurrect it, maybe a bad
conneciton, or the battery bad, or just reuse the LEDs.

Michael

Old May 24th 17, 07:03 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Fake ID

In article ,
Dennis wrote:

Anyone else notice that alkaline batteries have been getting crappier?
When I was a kid, batteries regularly leaked if left in devices. I had
many ruined toys, radios, flashlights, etc. Then for a while, 20 years
or so, they seemed to get better and I rarely had anything destroyed
by a leaking battery. Now it seems like they leak regularly again.
Maybe because production moved to China/Viet Nam/Maylasia/etc ?

I've had more things ruined by Kirkland batteries than I can remember.
Lights, radios, clocks.

My favorite "flashlight" also has battery problems. It's a 1.5 million candlepower spotlight that uses some unicorn of a 12V rechargeable SLA battery. The original battery didn't last long, but the "manufacturer" had already gone out of business and taken over by DeWalt. For a bit more than the original cost of the light I got a replacement battery, which also didn't last long. But when it worked...bright and well-focused--pull the trigger and light up all the critters. It was like a handheld car headlight.

Old May 27th 17, 10:06 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
analogdial

Dennis wrote:

Anyone else notice that alkaline batteries have been getting crappier?
When I was a kid, batteries regularly leaked if left in devices. I had
many ruined toys, radios, flashlights, etc. Then for a while, 20 years
or so, they seemed to get better and I rarely had anything destroyed
by a leaking battery. Now it seems like they leak regularly again.
Maybe because production moved to China/Viet Nam/Maylasia/etc ?

Dennis (evil)

I have alot of battery operated devices and I used to trust only
American made alkaline batteries. In my expirence, they are getting
crappier. The Duracalls have been the worst, the Ray-O-Vacs some what
better and the Energizers better yet, but still so-so. D cells would
be the most likely to leak, followed by AA cells. C cells and AAA
cells seemed fairly safe.

The worst part is, they would be leaking yet still seem to have lots of
power.

I figured the inexpensive (with coupon) Harbor Freight Chinese
made alkaline batteries couldn't be any worse, so I started buying
those. Haven't had a leaker in about 3 years. They've all come to a
normal, dead battery end of life.

I don't quite feel like coming to a generalized conclusion, yet. It
could be production run issues and I just got lucky. But I wish I could
say the American made batteries were unquestionably better.
Old May 27th 17, 03:56 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BigDog811

wrote:

[...]

Haven't had that problem myself. But I don't have that many battery operated devices...phones, tablets, and remotes excepted. Just a few flashlights strategically placed around the house, and a weather station. I change those during my biannual smoke/CO alarm backup battery change even if they seem to be good. I only buy brand name cells at a military commissary I shop at. It has high product turnover, therefore very fresh stock on the shelves. I think some of the those problems have less to do with where they're made than discount stores selling brand name stuff that's "new old stock" they pick up for cheap from suppliers that have had it in a warehouse too long. Don't use store brand batteries so I have no experience with them.
Old May 27th 17, 07:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

wrote:

[...]

I wonder if the current battery failure problems may result from the
modern practice of buying large blocks of batteries at Costco in one
purchase instead of a package of 4 when we need them. So they sit around
for years until we finally put them to use. No surprise they don't last
long.
Old May 27th 17, 07:47 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 05/27/2017 11:23 AM, Bob F wrote:

I wonder if the current battery failure problems may result from the
modern practice of buying large blocks of batteries at Costco in one
purchase instead of a package of 4 when we need them. So they sit around
for years until we finally put them to use. No surprise they don't last
long.

If they supposedly expire ("best if used by...") in 2025 I don't see why
it matters where they sit.

--
Cheers, Bev
Brian (Talking to crowd): You need to be independent minded.