Cost of Beggin' Strips for dogs vs. real bacon.

Old February 25th 04, 04:23 AM
someone

Default Cost of Beggin' Strips for dogs vs. real bacon.

O.K., I don't and I know no frugal buyer would ever buy such products, but
seems like a good forum to make this point.

Knowing pet treats aren't cheap, i decided to take a look at "Beggin'
Strips." No surprise here.
Beggin' Strips cost $5.60 - $6.00 for a 10 oz. package. That's 56 to 60
cents per ounce.

That makes it ALOT more expensive than real bacon, so what's up with their
ad, "Dogs don't know it's not bacon."

Also I looked at the ingredients... ground wheat, corn, flower. Oh, there
is bacon fat and smoke flavor included down on the list.

Old February 25th 04, 05:43 AM
The Real Bev

someone wrote:

O.K., I don't and I know no frugal buyer would ever buy such products, but
seems like a good forum to make this point.

Knowing pet treats aren't cheap, i decided to take a look at "Beggin'
Strips." No surprise here.
Beggin' Strips cost $5.60 - $6.00 for a 10 oz. package. That's 56 to 60
cents per ounce.

That makes it ALOT more expensive than real bacon, so what's up with their
ad, "Dogs don't know it's not bacon."

Also I looked at the ingredients... ground wheat, corn, flower. Oh, there
is bacon fat and smoke flavor included down on the list.

Frugal surrogate: Fry the bacon and eat it yourself. Fry eggs in the
bacon grease. Give your dog one of the eggs and some whole wheat bread
that you used to soak up the extra grease. Everybody wins.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Old February 25th 04, 06:50 AM
Lorenzo L. Love

someone wrote:
O.K., I don't and I know no frugal buyer would ever buy such products, but
seems like a good forum to make this point.

Knowing pet treats aren't cheap, i decided to take a look at "Beggin'
Strips." No surprise here.
Beggin' Strips cost $5.60 - $6.00 for a 10 oz. package. That's 56 to 60
cents per ounce.

That makes it ALOT more expensive than real bacon, so what's up with their
ad, "Dogs don't know it's not bacon."

Also I looked at the ingredients... ground wheat, corn, flower. Oh, there
is bacon fat and smoke flavor included down on the list.

The other day at Dollartree I got some Tyson Tasty Bites which is
basicly chicken jerky. 4 oz for a dollar. Pretty bland tasting which is
probably why it wound up in a dollar store. If you add hot sauce it's
not bad but I wouldn't pay much more for it. But my cat loves it (minus
the hot sauce) and I'm sure dogs would too as it's real meat. A lot
cheaper then Beggin' Strips and you can eat it too.

Lorenzo L. Love
http://home.thegrid.net/~lllove

"The noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it."
Lawrence J. Peter

Old February 25th 04, 02:02 PM
Frogleg

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 04:23:52 GMT, "someone"
wrote:

Knowing pet treats aren't cheap, i decided to take a look at "Beggin'
Strips." No surprise here.
Beggin' Strips cost $5.60 - $6.00 for a 10 oz. package. That's 56 to 60
cents per ounce.

That makes it ALOT more expensive than real bacon,

Not cooked. Bacon loses about 2/3 of its weight in cooking (fat and
moisture), so you'd have to multiply the price per pound of bacon by 3
to make a comparison. Bacon is a *very* expensive meat, unless you
have good uses for the rendered fat.

Old February 25th 04, 03:22 PM
Nonymous

wrote:

Knowing pet treats aren't cheap, i decided to take a look at "Beggin'
Strips." No surprise here.
Beggin' Strips cost $5.60 - $6.00 for a 10 oz. package. That's 56
to 60 cents per ounce.

That makes it ALOT more expensive than real bacon,

Not cooked. Bacon loses about 2/3 of its weight in cooking (fat and
moisture), so you'd have to multiply the price per pound of bacon by 3
to make a comparison. Bacon is a *very* expensive meat, unless you
have good uses for the rendered fat.

Some dogs can't tolerate the high salt content in Bacon (or ham) and will
throw it up later if they eat too much of it. (That's how you make a dog
throw up something they shouldn't have eaten: get them them to drink a bowl
of salt water.)

Old February 25th 04, 07:45 PM
Murdoc

"someone" wrote in message link.net...
O.K., I don't and I know no frugal buyer would ever buy such products, but
seems like a good forum to make this point.

Knowing pet treats aren't cheap, i decided to take a look at "Beggin'
Strips." No surprise here.
Beggin' Strips cost $5.60 - $6.00 for a 10 oz. package. That's 56 to 60
cents per ounce.

That makes it ALOT more expensive than real bacon, so what's up with their
ad, "Dogs don't know it's not bacon."

Also I looked at the ingredients... ground wheat, corn, flower. Oh, there
is bacon fat and smoke flavor included down on the list.

Dogs love real pork but real pork is very very bad for dogs.. Thats
where their slogan comes from.