What thread count sheets do you buy?

Old October 29th 07, 11:19 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default What thread count sheets do you buy?

Looking to by some new flat sheets.

Curious what thread count everyone considers a good
one? I'm looking for a luxurious feel so should I get
500 tpi? One thousand tpi?

And what material? Egyptian cotton, sateen, pima?
Old October 30th 07, 01:17 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom

On Oct 29, 3:19 pm, wrote:
Looking to by some new flat sheets.

Curious what thread count everyone considers a good
one? I'm looking for a luxurious feel so should I get
500 tpi? One thousand tpi?

And what material? Egyptian cotton, sateen, pima?

I think it was Consumer Reports that said anything about 300 TC made
no difference and you were paying for something you weren't really
getting.

Here's a report of the report (that is, a news station using CR's
report to do a story):

http://www.channel3000.com/onyoursid...65/detail.html

Old October 30th 07, 04:32 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
A.

"Seerialmom" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 29, 3:19 pm, wrote:
Looking to by some new flat sheets.

Curious what thread count everyone considers a good
one? I'm looking for a luxurious feel so should I get
500 tpi? One thousand tpi?

And what material? Egyptian cotton, sateen, pima?

I think it was Consumer Reports that said anything about 300 TC made
no difference and you were paying for something you weren't really
getting.

Depends on what you want to be getting - and your skin.

I can tell the difference between 300 and 600 thread count, and it matters
to me. Maybe my skin is sensitive.

I like sheets to be very silky-seeming and to drape well, there's an
aesthetic to it.

I would be interested in hearing what others say about pima vs. egyptian,
etc. I myself can't tell the difference between 600 and 800 count, and am
not sure that I've ever touched 1000 count.

After sleeping on 600, regular 200 count seems rough. If that matters to
you. Maybe some people regard sleeping as an opportunity for exfoliation
(I'm serious).

Consumer guide can't really decide this for everyone.

Old October 30th 07, 03:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
rick++

Frugal is paying the lowest for basic functionallity,
not the highest luxury you can get for a given cost
in my opinion. If burlap would do the job, and it was
avialabel and chepest, then I'd use that.

Old October 30th 07, 03:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Here's a report of the report (that is, a news station using CR's
report to do a story):

http://www.channel3000.com/onyoursid...65/detail.html

wow

thanks so much!
Old October 30th 07, 04:00 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

I buy at least a 600 count sateen. The difference is amazing IMO. They are
nice and silky, the tight weave makes them wear better and they are even
warmer. I get mine on Overstock.com, the last set was $60 for California
King size.

OK but I want to buy sheets separately and NOT in sets.

IOW.... I may want to order two separate queen flat
sheets.... one for top and one for bottom.

Overstock have this?
Old October 30th 07, 04:01 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Goomba38

rick++ wrote:
Frugal is paying the lowest for basic functionallity,
not the highest luxury you can get for a given cost
in my opinion. If burlap would do the job, and it was
avialabel and chepest, then I'd use that.

You are mistaken, IMO. Frugality is deciding what you want and getting
it for the best price. It is not imposing your lowest acceptable level
of quality or functionality on others.
Old October 30th 07, 04:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

You are mistaken, IMO. Frugality is deciding what you want and getting
it for the best price. It is not imposing your lowest acceptable level
of quality or functionality on others.

Bingo!
Old October 30th 07, 09:30 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_]

Goomba38 wrote:
rick++ wrote:
Frugal is paying the lowest for basic functionallity,
not the highest luxury you can get for a given cost
in my opinion. If burlap would do the job, and it was
avialabel and chepest, then I'd use that.

You are mistaken, IMO.

Or you are too.

Frugality is deciding what you want and getting it for the best price.

Nope, not if what you decide you want makes not sense to want.

It is not imposing your lowest acceptable level of quality or functionality on others.

But its also not about a very superficial choice of what you want either.

Old October 30th 07, 11:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
pc

Melissa wrote:
wrote in message
Looking to by some new flat sheets.

Curious what thread count everyone considers a good
one? I'm looking for a luxurious feel so should I get
500 tpi? One thousand tpi?

And what material? Egyptian cotton, sateen, pima?

I buy at least a 600 count sateen. The difference is amazing IMO. They are
nice and silky, the tight weave makes them wear better and they are even
warmer. I get mine on Overstock.com, the last set was $60 for California
King size.

Melissa

About eight months ago I bought two sets of 300 tci [IIRC] sheets from
Overstock. They were a great price. And I've regretted it ever since.
I have to use a pill shaver on them whenever I use them. But, they
were just regular cotton.

Just recently, I had to work at the local Home Show for my company and
there was a vendor there selling 400 tci Egyptian cotton sateen sheets
for $20 a set. Some people I spoke with said they bought them last year
and they were good. So, I bought two sets and am very pleased with them.

When I work at the Home Show next year, I'll buy two more sets.

So, check out Home Shows. I think these folks travel all over. I'm in
FL. They are based in MA.

Another note about sheets...Years ago I started buying only white
sheets. That way I can mix and match and it looks okay.

...PC

sheets have thread count - how do you pick good towels? none Frugal living 2 November 5th 06 07:31 PM
bed sheets - beyond thread count, quality of construction - any good brands? none Frugal living 2 November 4th 06 08:26 PM
Bush Body Count [email protected] Frugal living 42 September 15th 04 04:50 PM
Count On... Joey Jolley Frugal living 6 June 11th 04 02:03 AM
Does this count as a freebie? Fat Sam Free stuff (UK only) 23 May 23rd 04 02:06 PM