DO NOT BUY a Staber Washing Machine - What they won't tell you

Old August 31st 17, 06:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default DO NOT BUY a Staber Washing Machine - What they won't tell you

On Monday, July 8, 2002 at 8:49:55 PM UTC-4, PT wrote:
We have had our Staber washing machine for the last two years and have
had horrible results, especially for the premium price ($1300). The
very first time we used it, we put in an expensive quilt (new Amish
quilt), used much less detergent than normal (as per the directions),
and it oversuds, would not spin up or drain, and caused the fabric to
bleed. We tried running it back through the rinse cycles time after
time to no avail. We knew it was expensive, but if it lasted a very
long time due to its supposedly rugged design and was frugal on water
and electricity, it should have been a good choice.

If you think you are buying a rugged, care-free machine that will last
forever, be frugal on water, and be a good long-term investment, think
again.

Problems with Staber washing machines they won't tell you BEFORE you
buy:

1. If it is still under warranty, and it fails to work, YOU have to fix
it yourself (though they may be "gracious" enough to send you the
parts), despite the very high price you pay for it. You probably will
have to buy a wet/dry vac if you don't have one, so you can suck up the
water when you replace your own water pump (observe how the pump design
allows hair and other debris to get caught up under a lip of the
impeller and wrapped around and is next to impossible to remove
totally).

2. It is extremely sensitive to being perfectly balanced and it still
is prone to going out of balance when it attemps to spin up. Want to
wash a single rug due to a pet accident? Forget it. It will attempt to
spin up infinitely until you stop it. Two rugs? Better chance, but
often a failure as well.

3. Unless your machine is on a concrete slab (as I guess is common in
Ohio where they are made, but not out here in the West), your floor will
vibrate heavily vertically when the machine spins up, such that when you
stand near the machine when it spins up, your body will shake up and
down. Nowhere in their literature did it say you needed to either have
concrete or triple reinforce your floor to take the beating this machine
puts out and prevent extra vibration. Our machine is in a laundry nook
in our hallway, which you have to walk through to get to the bedrooms.
The house is 20 years old, so it isn't an old, rickety floor.

4. It very often will not properly go through the rinse and spin cycles
because it oversuds (too many suds) and is super sensitive this way. It
will just sit there rumbling through, trying in vain to drain and spin
up until you stop it. Eventually, I suspect it will cause your pump to
burn out. You have to reset it back to go through 1 or more rinse
cycles again, negating the supposedly miserly water use. In the worst
cases, we had to go through as many as 6 or even more rinse cycles to
get it to properly rinse, drain, and spin up. Even being extremely
sparingly with detergent (tried three kinds), it often requires an extra
1 or 2 rinses to be able to spin up.

5. When you call and complain that even though you are using only 1/4
or 1/5 of the normal amount of detergent you use in a top loader and it
is still oversudsing, they will claim you need to buy a case of their
RECOMMENDED detergent, which is a 20 year supply for us, as this machine
is miserly in detergent use. I am sorry, but no where on their website,
their literature, or the sales floor at one of their retailers does it
say anything about being restricted to a single brand of detergent. We
have tried 3 detergents that all say it is good for top and front
loaders and use just a very small amount, just a small fraction of
normal, and it still oversuds. They "helpfully" suggest you can also
dumping in vinegar to cut the suds when it oversuds. One rug required a
third of a gallon of vinegar.

6. The main knob that you use to set the washer in motion feels flimsy,
has a plastic stem supporting it, and if you accidentally pull it when
it is already pulled out, it pulls right off the machine. In contrast,
my 4 year old standard Kenmore washing machine has a very solid feeling
knob that you can't just rip right off.

7. If you have to stop the machine to check after it won't rinse and
spin due to suds and to add vinegar, etc, or if it spins out of balance,
you not only have to wait a couple minutes for it to unlock the door,
but you then have to push against the tub (it is like a hexagon) to
rotate it to the position where you open the "trap door" to get to the
clothes. This is difficult for my wife and the holes in the side of the
tub are in such a way as also to be uncomfortable on the hands. The
"trap door" you open has a left door and a right door that interlock and
is difficult or nearly impossible if you only have the use of one hand.
Other front or top loaders I have seen can easily be used with one hand.

8. It is very noisy when it spins up. There is no insulation to cut
the noise level. It sounds like a jet plane. It will also vibrate your
floor (unless you have concrete slab), adding additional noise as well.
Yes, they have those shock absorber-like things holding the tub (which
Staber actually touts as a feature), but it still vibrates the floor
heavily. One can only imagine what it would be like if it DIDN'T have
that feature.

9. When you call for help because of some of the problems stated above
(not draining, oversuds, pump not working, etc), their attitude always
seems to be that there is something YOU are not doing right, not because
of design flaws of THEIR product.

Yes, you can take off the front panel and have "easy access", but how
many times should someone have to take off the front panel in the course
or fixing or diagnosing the machine in the first year or two of
ownership, especially when it costs so much? I would rather have harder
access, and only have to do it every 10 years or so.

Buyer Beware. Preserve your marriage or relationship, DO NOT BUY a
Staber washing machine.

-Piner

Post a reply to this message in the newsgroups if any of you unhappy
Staber users out there wish to add anything or confirm you are
experiencing some of the same things I am.

We have had a Staber for over 20 years and have never had any problems or even repairs. We are replacing it simply because the frame is slowly rusting away. Those of us who live off-grid are looking for low energy, self repairable appliances that last a long time. That is what Staber provides, and in a very robust manner. I would agree with a previous post that the problems listed come across as not understanding or following the manual, and an expectation that all appliances should work the way the owner wants them to, rather than what they are designed for. And of course there can be lemons in any appliance (or car or computer, etc.)
Old September 1st 17, 04:58 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
catalpa

wrote in message
[...]

***

No one cares about washing machine problems from 15 years ago.

Old September 1st 17, 06:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Thursday, August 31, 2017 at 9:57:44 PM UTC-5, catalpa wrote:

wrote in message:

We have had a Staber for over 20 years and have never had any problems or
even repairs. We are replacing it simply because the frame is slowly rusting
away. Those of us who live off-grid are looking for low energy, self
repairable appliances that last a long time. That is what Staber provides,
and in a very robust manner. I would agree with a previous post that the
problems listed come across as not understanding or following the manual,
and an expectation that all appliances should work the way the owner wants
them to, rather than what they are designed for. And of course there can be
lemons in any appliance (or car or computer, etc.)

No one cares about washing machine problems from 15 years ago.

High 5!

DO NOT BUY a Staber Washing Machine - What they won't tell you [email protected] Frugal living 0 April 12th 17 11:17 PM
Washing machine Jay UK discounts & bargains 1 June 30th 06 02:00 PM
need new washing machine... Dontwalk UK discounts & bargains 10 February 2nd 06 02:39 AM
Washing Machine Q Joe Frugal living 5 December 29th 04 07:34 PM
washing machine R45six UK discounts & bargains 18 May 23rd 04 02:10 PM