Frugal Renters Insurance

Old July 23rd 17, 01:20 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Saturday, July 22, 2017 at 12:42:25 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am going to get on this for real early next week.

I really prefer to talk to someone in person. There is an insurance office a block away which is a good starting point.

Unless you like spending all day running from office to office
why not just phone different agencies?

And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least.

He may not be on the lease but he is potential hazard. Does he
smoke? Is he careless with cooking and leaving burners on? If
you have a grill would be careless around it as well? That's
just a few of the reasons they want to know if there will be a
roommate.

Other things I am debating the utility of is a safe and safety deposit box.

Why do you need a safe? The bank can provide you with a safety
deposit box.

Old July 27th 17, 05:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one.. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.
Old July 27th 17, 10:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 11:31:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.

Why didn't he file a claim with his auto insurance? So HIS
insurance wouldn't take a ding?

Old July 28th 17, 12:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BigDog811

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 5:28:48 PM UTC-4, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 11:31:34 AM UTC-5, wrote:

The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.

Why didn't he file a claim with his auto insurance? So HIS
insurance wouldn't take a ding?

Because many (maybe most?) "full coverage" auto insurance policies exclude non-automotive contents. For example, if our your car is broken into and an installed stereo is taken it would covered. But the iPod you left in there to listen to on that stereo wouldn't be. Nor would a computer, camera, briefcase, tools (other than the jack, jumper cables, etc), the handful coins on the console, or anything else you carelessly left in there to attract a thief. Every policy I've ever owned has had that exclusion specified.

And of course, minimum liability policies have no casualty loss coverage anyway.
Old July 28th 17, 01:11 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
BigDog811

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 12:31:34 PM UTC-4, wrote:
The Beaver,

"And some of the questions the online quotes were hitting me with, like do you have a roommate? Well, yes but he won't be involved in the least."

Roommates are always involved. More people in and out of the house, for one. I had a roommate who found out I had renters insurance. His car got broken into and he filed a claim with MY provider. A few weeks later he got broke into again... with more stuff. My credit rating took a ding.

Yep, that's they way it works. Homeowners/renters policies cover the premises, all contents, and all occupants regardless of who's name is on the policy, lease, or paying the premiums. Something to consider before taking on a roommate or renting out a room.

Oh, by the way. Here's something that's even more important. If that roommate/renter stops paying you can't just change the locks and put their stuff out on the street. You have to go through a formal eviction process. That's always complicated, and depending on where you live can be expensive and time consuming.
Old July 28th 17, 04:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 5:11:58 AM UTC-7, BigDog811 wrote:
[...]

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.
Old July 28th 17, 09:11 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.

Why?

Old July 29th 17, 02:31 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.

Why?

I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.
Old July 29th 17, 04:01 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:31:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.

Why?

I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.

Well, your best bet then is to forego the roommate.

Old July 29th 17, 05:39 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:01:51 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:31:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:11:56 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 10:46:02 AM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.

Why?

I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.

Well, your best bet then is to forego the roommate.

I wish it were that easy.