Frugal Renters Insurance

Old July 29th 17, 08:59 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 11:39:59 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:01:51 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 8:31:32 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I am probably going to pass on renter insurance.

Why?

I just want to protect my stuff and help me getting back on my feet in case of disaster. I don't want any drama or to give anyone a free ride on my back.

Well, your best bet then is to forego the roommate.

I wish it were that easy.

Ok, then make it a stipulation that roommate HAS to buy a renters
insurance policy. If there are any claims for anything he owns
he can turn it into HIS insurance company. You can buy your own
policy for anything you possess that might get damaged.

Renters insurance really is cheap and a wise investment.

Old July 31st 17, 05:58 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Good idea- requiring roommate to insure. Not only does it allow you to easily insure your home, but it would weed out undesirables. If an insurance company won't insure a renter because of too many fires, floods, or riff-raff making off with the silverware; then why would you want them?
Old July 31st 17, 07:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 10:58:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Good idea- requiring roommate to insure. Not only does it allow you to easily insure your home, but it would weed out undesirables. If an insurance company won't insure a renter because of too many fires, floods, or riff-raff making off with the silverware; then why would you want them?

That's the truth! And if they refuse to get their own renters policy
then you definitely don't want to be sharing living quarters with them.

Old August 1st 17, 08:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 10:23:21 AM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 10:58:21 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Good idea- requiring roommate to insure. Not only does it allow you to easily insure your home, but it would weed out undesirables. If an insurance company won't insure a renter because of too many fires, floods, or riff-raff making off with the silverware; then why would you want them?

That's the truth! And if they refuse to get their own renters policy
then you definitely don't want to be sharing living quarters with them.

This dude does extra work a few times a month. He can barely afford the bare necessities. But he doesn't mess with my stuff. Keep in mind we are each paying $500 where average rent now over $2000.
Old August 1st 17, 07:56 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 1:52:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:

This dude does extra work a few times a month. He can barely afford the bare necessities. But he doesn't mess with my stuff. Keep in mind we are each paying $500 where average rent now over $2000.

What do you mean 'extra work a few times a month'? If he can't afford
to pay his renters insurance then he'll start having excuses of why
he can't pay his portion of the rent. Maybe he needs to live in a
homeless shelter if he's that strapped for cash.

"According to the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, the average cost of renters insurance is $12 per month for $30,000 of property coverage and $100,000 of liability coverage. Additional coverage options may be available for an additional expense depending on the insurance provider."

Old August 1st 17, 09:55 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis

On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 11:59:52 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

Renters insurance really is cheap and a wise investment.

+1 on renter's insurance.

We used to own a small apartment building. One evening there was a
fire (caused by a cigarette dropped in a couch by a tenant's
boyfriend, it finally came out) that gutted one unit and caused smoke
and water damage on the rest. Fortunately no one was hurt. Our
landlord policy covered the damage to the building but, of course, did
not cover any damage to the tenant's possessions or provide money for
their accomodations while the building was repaired. We refunded
everyone's paid rent for the month and also paid for storage units for
tenant's stuff while the repairs were made, but that was all we could
manage.

Our insurance agent told us that they could have purchased renter's
insurance to cover their losses and expenses for about $15/month, but
no one had any insurance. Of course, these were the same people (all
single mothers on section 8) who complained that they couldn't afford
milk for their kids, but always seemed to have enough of money for
beer, cigarettes and cable TV.

Once all the repairs were made and everything was cleaned, shiny and
new, we decided it was a good time to sell. Never regretted it.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin
Old August 1st 17, 11:40 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

On 8/1/2017 10:56 AM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 1:52:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:

This dude does extra work a few times a month. He can barely afford the bare necessities. But he doesn't mess with my stuff. Keep in mind we are each paying $500 where average rent now over $2000.

What do you mean 'extra work a few times a month'? If he can't afford
to pay his renters insurance then he'll start having excuses of why
he can't pay his portion of the rent. Maybe he needs to live in a
homeless shelter if he's that strapped for cash.

"According to the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, the average cost of renters insurance is $12 per month for $30,000 of property coverage and $100,000 of liability coverage. Additional coverage options may be available for an additional expense depending on the insurance provider."

Nice of you to make instant judgements on so9meone you have never met.
Old August 2nd 17, 01:11 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

I make that same instant judgement all the time- if you ain't got $0.40/day, you ain't getting the keys to my stuff.
Old August 2nd 17, 01:27 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 10:56:16 AM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 1:52:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:

This dude does extra work a few times a month. He can barely afford the bare necessities. But he doesn't mess with my stuff. Keep in mind we are each paying $500 where average rent now over $2000.

What do you mean 'extra work a few times a month'? If he can't afford
to pay his renters insurance then he'll start having excuses of why
he can't pay his portion of the rent. Maybe he needs to live in a
homeless shelter if he's that strapped for cash.

"According to the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, the average cost of renters insurance is $12 per month for $30,000 of property coverage and $100,000 of liability coverage. Additional coverage options may be available for an additional expense depending on the insurance provider."

Extra as in movie extra. This is that kinda town and this is originally his place. Whatever with the rent is between him and the landlord. I can't make him pay any additional bills and don't want him freeloading on my policy.
Old August 2nd 17, 01:39 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 4:40:16 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

[...]

I'm making my judgement on what Beaver has told us. Someone who apparently
is strapped for cash on a regular basis. If he's this broke regularly, how
is he expected to make his part of the monthly rent if he lives on less
than a shoestring budget?