Frugal Renters Insurance

Old August 2nd 17, 12:42 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

Default Frugal Renters Insurance

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:27:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Extra as in movie extra. This is that kinda town and this is originally his place. Whatever with the rent is between him and the landlord. I can't make him pay any additional bills and don't want him freeloading on my policy.

Has he ever gone out and actively searched for a job that has steady pay
or is he hoping to be 'discovered'?

If whatever 'the rent is between him and the landlord' and he doesn't
pay his share, you'll BOTH be at the homeless shelter.
Old August 2nd 17, 12:43 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:11:21 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I make that same instant judgement all the time- if you ain't got $0.40/day, you ain't getting the keys to my stuff.

^5!

Old August 2nd 17, 12:51 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 4:42:57 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 6:27:58 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Extra as in movie extra. This is that kinda town and this is originally his place. Whatever with the rent is between him and the landlord. I can't make him pay any additional bills and don't want him freeloading on my policy.

Has he ever gone out and actively searched for a job that has steady pay
or is he hoping to be 'discovered'?

If whatever 'the rent is between him and the landlord' and he doesn't
pay his share, you'll BOTH be at the homeless shelter.

We both the pay the landlord individually. I am happy to pay half, if he hits the skids I will pay everything if I have to.
Old August 2nd 17, 12:53 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 4:39:57 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 4:40:16 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:

On 8/1/2017 10:56 AM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 1:52:18 AM UTC-5, wrote:

This dude does extra work a few times a month. He can barely afford the bare necessities. But he doesn't mess with my stuff. Keep in mind we are each paying $500 where average rent now over $2000.

What do you mean 'extra work a few times a month'? If he can't afford
to pay his renters insurance then he'll start having excuses of why
he can't pay his portion of the rent. Maybe he needs to live in a
homeless shelter if he's that strapped for cash.

"According to the Independent Insurance Agents & Brokers of America, the average cost of renters insurance is $12 per month for $30,000 of property coverage and $100,000 of liability coverage. Additional coverage options may be available for an additional expense depending on the insurance provider."

Nice of you to make instant judgements on so9meone you have never met.

I'm making my judgement on what Beaver has told us. Someone who apparently
is strapped for cash on a regular basis. If he's this broke regularly, how
is he expected to make his part of the monthly rent if he lives on less
than a shoestring budget?

It's a mystery to me too but I am in much better financial shape than when I moved into this mess. However it would not be advantageous to move out at this time. He's lived here over 20 years under the same circumstances.
Old August 2nd 17, 03:52 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

I did extra work. The more you or into it, the more you make. More calls you go on. The bigger the wardrobe. I knew people who'd make six figures as an extra.

Now you know, the problem isn't renters insurance, it's having a poverty stricken roomie. And your hopeless situation.
Old August 2nd 17, 05:14 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 7:52:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I did extra work. The more you or into it, the more you make. More calls you go on. The bigger the wardrobe. I knew people who'd make six figures as an extra.

Now you know, the problem isn't renters insurance, it's having a poverty stricken roomie. And your hopeless situation.

Not totally hopeless. Just a weird thing I am not sure how to deal with. I don't blame him for not wanting to work, I also have no intention of getting another job either. However I was able to figure put how to generate some decent income in spite it.

What worries me most about him is that when he finally flames out, he leaves his cats with me and I have to be the one to take them to the shelter.

As long as he can pay the rent he stays. I just don't want him freeloading on my policy. Not drinking, doing drugs or being a lowlife counts A LOT with me and was my biggest worry when I was forced into sharing housing.
Old August 3rd 17, 02:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 11:15:04 AM UTC-5, wrote:

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 7:52:43 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Now you know, the problem isn't renters insurance, it's having a poverty stricken roomie. And your hopeless situation.

Not totally hopeless. Just a weird thing I am not sure how to deal with. I don't blame him for not wanting to work, I also have no intention of getting another job either. However I was able to figure put how to generate some decent income in spite it.

What worries me most about him is that when he finally flames out, he leaves his cats with me and I have to be the one to take them to the shelter.

As long as he can pay the rent he stays. I just don't want him freeloading on my policy. Not drinking, doing drugs or being a lowlife counts A LOT with me and was my biggest worry when I was forced into sharing housing.

It's your problem and you are perpetuating his laziness. Deal with it
as whatever we've suggested you reject it with some pitiful excuse for
him. He's around your neck, not ours.

Old August 3rd 17, 03:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Wednesday, August 2, 2017 at 6:26:19 PM UTC-7, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
[...]

Well, he is an adult and I can't force him to get a job. And it's technically his place (as he was here before me). Maybe I should talk to an agent down the street and figure it out. I don't have to tell my roommate about the policy.

Also if he moves out I am afraid he will take the refrigerator and stove. And the money I am making now feels so unreal I don't want to count on it being here forever so I would prefer to keep my honest roommate now then have to find another one further down the line.
Old August 3rd 17, 03:25 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 12:55:31 PM UTC-7, Dennis wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 11:59:52 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann
wrote:

Renters insurance really is cheap and a wise investment.

+1 on renter's insurance.

We used to own a small apartment building. One evening there was a
fire (caused by a cigarette dropped in a couch by a tenant's
boyfriend, it finally came out) that gutted one unit and caused smoke
and water damage on the rest. Fortunately no one was hurt. Our
landlord policy covered the damage to the building but, of course, did
not cover any damage to the tenant's possessions or provide money for
their accomodations while the building was repaired. We refunded
everyone's paid rent for the month and also paid for storage units for
tenant's stuff while the repairs were made, but that was all we could
manage.

Our insurance agent told us that they could have purchased renter's
insurance to cover their losses and expenses for about $15/month, but
no one had any insurance. Of course, these were the same people (all
single mothers on section 8) who complained that they couldn't afford
milk for their kids, but always seemed to have enough of money for
beer, cigarettes and cable TV.

Once all the repairs were made and everything was cleaned, shiny and
new, we decided it was a good time to sell. Never regretted it.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

I've been there.

That's the thing about poverty of spirit, it makes you dependent on numbing agents such as drugs, alcohol and especially cable television. Thank gawd my attention span is too fried for TV.

However any parent who truly loved their children wouldn't force them to drink milk.

Section 8 ruined the Antelope Valley in California.