how to catch a clever mouse?

Old January 9th 08, 04:03 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_]

Default how to catch a clever mouse?

Dennis wrote:

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more, dead
dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there is
something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

I asked Smokey the Bear at one of our National Parks why there were
sticks protruding from all the trash cans. He told me that they're
there so that the critters who climb or fall in can escape by climbing
the stick.

Reverse the process: lean a stick against a trashcan containing
something that a mouse will regard as delicious. Perhaps a bit of
cheese and a strawberry...

I can't think of anything better to do with the catch than flush it.
Look upon it as giving the poor city mouse a nice vacation trip to the
seaside.

--
Cheers, Bev
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Old January 9th 08, 04:08 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_]

George Grapman wrote:

Dennis wrote:
On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more, dead
dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there is
something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

Dennis (evil)

Reminds me of an accidental trapping. The plastic towel bar in the
bathroom kept coming out of its holder. One morning it was on the floor
and a a mouse was trapped inside. It was only open on one end so a took
a shopping bag, emptied the mouse into the bag, walked outside to the
storm drain on the corner and deposited the rodent.

Around here the wild things use the storm drains as underground railways.

I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of the
ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the curtain-poles to
their new home...

Probably apocryphal.

Old January 9th 08, 04:48 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Veteran

In article ,
George Grapman wrote:

The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been caught
and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and alive I went to
get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least knock him out. I
returned to the living room to find an empty trap sitting near the wall.
I went out immediately and purchased a dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there were
no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were gone and
several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw another sign of
infestation. Of course, this option is not good if you have pets or
small children.

and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
problems tend to look like nails.
Old January 9th 08, 05:32 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_]

Veteran wrote:
In article ,
George Grapman wrote:

The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been
caught and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and
alive I went to get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least
knock him out. I returned to the living room to find an empty trap
sitting near the wall. I went out immediately and purchased a
dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there
were no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were
gone and several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw
another sign of infestation. Of course, this option is not good if
you have pets or small children.

and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

I've never had any smell at all, they just dehydrate odourlessly.

Old January 9th 08, 05:39 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Ron Peterson

On Jan 8, 6:18*am, "OhioGuy" wrote:

* Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

The Victor 4 way mouse trap works best for me. I use a raison for bait
because it can't be licked off.

--
Ron

Old January 9th 08, 11:34 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_]

Rod Speed wrote:

Veteran wrote:
George Grapman wrote:

The last time I saw infestation I purchased some glue traps. A few
hours later I heard a rattling sound on the floor. A rat had been
caught and was dragging the trap around. Since he was large and
alive I went to get a 2 by 4 to hit him on the head and at least
knock him out. I returned to the living room to find an empty trap
sitting near the wall. I went out immediately and purchased a
dozen of the large poison
bars. The guy at the hardware store said to leave them until there
were no signs of two weeks. The next morning to of the bars were
gone and several others had obviously been chewed on. I never saw
another sign of infestation. Of course, this option is not good if
you have pets or small children.

and you don't mind the smell as they decompose somewhere in a wall.

Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to find
water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is down.

I've never had any smell at all, they just dehydrate odourlessly.

Did I ever tell you about finding the desiccated mouse in the microwave
oven?

--
Cheers, Bev
66666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666666 666666666

Old January 9th 08, 11:36 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_]

timeOday wrote:

The Real Bev wrote:
max wrote:
In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough
to outwit a traditional trap?

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

Whatever you use, bend something so that it has a hair trigger. They
don't all come from the factory properly-adjusted.

Yes, I was going to recommend NOT getting the plastic ones for just that
reason. You have to get the Victor trap with the metal cheese pedal,
and bend it like Bev said.

I also like to take a chunk from chunky peanut butter and lodge it into
the hole on the "cheese" pedal hoping the mouse will have to pull on it,
though I can't swear that makes a difference.

Thread. Works every time. Greedy little *******s can't resist trying
to get every last bit of savory goodness.

Old January 9th 08, 11:38 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_1_]

timeOday wrote:

Logan Shaw wrote:
Last time I had "a" mouse, it turned out to be 9 of them. It was right
when the weather started getting really cold, so I guess they moved inside
for the heat.

I've found when you get a whole family, you know the job is almost done
when you start catching small (baby) mice. Kinda sad but true.

Like Ben Johnson said -- "Just their tough luck for bein' born cows"
works for mice too.

Old January 10th 08, 12:08 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
imascot

Dennis wrote in :

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more, dead
dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there is
something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

Dennis (evil)

We have an annual problem with mice, too. We have a big metal humane trap that holds 30 mice
(shudder, never had more than one at a time), but we have accidentally found that what works even
better is a bucket with an inch or two of water in it. Might even work better with a rolled up
(waterproof) tube standing upright in it....?

J.
Old January 10th 08, 12:33 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

The Real Bev wrote:

Theory has it that they develop a raging thirst and run outside to find
water. If you use D-Con, make sure the toilet seat cover is down.

D-con is warfarin, a blood thinner that basically induces the symptoms
of hemophilia.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.