how to get replacement cables for Weider home Gym?

Old December 20th 08, 01:06 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
OhioGuy

Default how to get replacement cables for Weider home Gym?

I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
having a problem. The system uses cheap plastic pulleys, so they coated
the metal cables with plastic so that they wouldn't wear the pulleys.

The trouble is, the plastic coating is coming off all the cables,
which makes it very difficult to do the exercises. The plastic coming
off and bulging out makes the resistance variable, and sometimes
downright impossible.

I tried searches online for replacement parts, and found that I could
easily spend $60 just replacing one cable with an official part. That
is about what I paid for the whole thing.

My Dad suggested getting "aircraft cable", whatever that is. I'm
guessing it is a high quality metal cable you can get in a bulk roll.
If I could get something like that and cut it to length, I believe I
could easily replace what is on here.

The trouble is, where do you get the stuff? Anyone have an idea
where to get a good deal online for rolls of metal cable? They didn't
have any at my local hardware store. Thanks!
Old December 20th 08, 03:32 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston

In article , OhioGuy wrote:
I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
having a problem. The system uses cheap plastic pulleys, so they coated
the metal cables with plastic so that they wouldn't wear the pulleys.

[ ... ]

It's also serving the purpose of noise reduction, and was probably
intended to trap any broken strands of wire.

My Dad suggested getting "aircraft cable", whatever that is. I'm
guessing it is a high quality metal cable you can get in a bulk roll.
If I could get something like that and cut it to length, I believe I
could easily replace what is on here.

Wire cable is used in small aircraft for connecting control surfaces
to controls, or for bracing (i.e., on biplanes). The material used on
aircraft has to meet tight standards on strength, flexibility, and
corrosion resistance, and is usually made from stainless steel wire.
It's also more expensive than regular steel cable.

The trouble is, where do you get the stuff? Anyone have an idea
where to get a good deal online for rolls of metal cable? They didn't
have any at my local hardware store. Thanks!

A search on "vinyl covered wire cable" turned up these and mo

http://www.stageriggingonline.com/ca...FRLoxgodYxFoDg

http://www.webriggingsupply.com/page...FRJ4xgodawEdEA

http://www.smallparts.com/s?ie=UTF8&...Jxxwo dDlNhDw

You might have better luck using the nylon coated products, as they'll
probably hold up better.

If there's a stage or theatrical supply company near you, they may have
cable available--the smaller sizes are used for safety lines for stage
lights, for example.

You'll need a good heavy-duty pair of cutters, a hacksaw, or a Dremel
tool or similar rotary tool to cut it with. I've also used a cold
chisel and hand sledge with success on smaller cable. Wrap electrical
tape around it to reduce fraying when cutting.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

"Behind every successful woman there is an astonished man"
General of the Army (four stars) Ann Dunwoody
Old December 20th 08, 04:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

Just check around the big box stores and major hardware stores for
coated cables. I have regularly purchased them by the foot in various
diameters. Don't just buy something without touching and feeling it.
Some of those cables could be too stiff for your equipment. You want
cables with the most number of strands, which gives the flexibility
you need.
Old December 21st 08, 05:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Roger Shoaf

See Mc Master Carr at: http://www.mcmaster.com/ page 1377

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Old December 26th 08, 08:30 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
NotMe

:
[...]

Look for a company that sells 'wire rope'. comes in 'clad' (with plastic)
or unclad (no plastic). If you take the old cable with you they can make up
what you need.

Might also check HomeDepot and Lows.

Old September 6th 17, 03:47 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Saturday, December 20, 2008 at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

Try
"Tractor Supply Company"
Old September 6th 17, 05:11 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

On 9/5/2017 7:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

Or perhaps a marine supply place.
Old September 6th 17, 07:16 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 9:47:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Saturday, ***December 20, 2008*** at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:

I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
having a problem.

Try
"Tractor Supply Company"

I SERIOUSLY doubt OhioGuy has been hanging around for the last
NINE YEARS waiting on yours or Bob F's reply.

Old September 6th 17, 07:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 11:12:17 PM UTC-5, Bob F wrote:
On 9/5/2017 7:47 PM, wrote:

On Saturday, ***December 20, 2008*** at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:

Try
"Tractor Supply Company"

Or perhaps a marine supply place.

REALLY??? You think OhioGuy has been pacing the floor these past
NINE YEARS awaiting your suggestion???
Old September 11th 17, 05:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

On 9/6/2017 11:16 AM, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 9:47:52 PM UTC-5, wrote:

On Saturday, ***December 20, 2008*** at 8:06:21 AM UTC-5, OhioGuy wrote:

I have a Weider System 3 (15922) Cross Trainer home Gym that is
having a problem.

Try
"Tractor Supply Company"

I SERIOUSLY doubt OhioGuy has been hanging around for the last
NINE YEARS waiting on yours or Bob F's reply.

And your are absolutely sure nobody else currently has the same problem?