how to catch a clever mouse?

Old January 10th 08, 05:57 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
George Grapman[_1_]

Default how to catch a clever mouse?

The Real Bev wrote:
ChairMan wrote:

The Real Bev spewed forth:

I heard a story about an ex-wife who hid some fish inside each of the
expensive hollow curtain-poles in her ex-husband's home. Theory was
that the ex-husband and his new wife could never find the source of
the ghastly odor, sold their house at a loss and moved the
curtain-poles to their new home...

Probably apocryphal.

ya mean this story?

After 17 years of marriage, a man dumped his wife for
his young secretary. His new girlfriend demanded that
she wanted to live in the couple's multimillion dollar
home, and since the man's lawyers were a little better,
he prevailed... ...A week later, the man and his new girlfriend stood
smirking as they watched the moving company pack
everything to take to their new home...

...including the curtain rods.

Yup, that's the one!

Reminds me of another urban legend. American business man living in
London decides to dump his girl friend. He tells her he is going home
for a week and expects her to be gone when he returns.
During the trip he worries what she might do or steal. He returns and
finds the phone is off the hook and figures no big deal. His next phone
bill shows a 130 hour call to the time number in New York.
I could relate to this. I had a lady from Texas living with me and
decided it was time for her to move on. She was set to move on a work
day. During the day I called several times to see how things were going
and each time got a busy signal. This was when long distance calls,
especially in the day, were costly and I envisioned a 6 hour call on my
bill. When I got home there was a thank you note and the phone was on
the floor. My dog had knocked it off the coffee table.
Old January 11th 08, 03:40 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
P T

Trapping requires perseverance and discarding the tactics that don't
work.

Trappers' tales:

Inadvertently I caught a chipmunk. I had a 5 gallon pail in the yard
with about six inches of water in it (to pour on the grass-killing urine
from my dog.) One day a chipmunk hopped up onto it, I suppose expecting
a flat surface on top. It couldn't climb out the slippery sides, and
the water was enough I guess to prevent it from leaping out. The water
level was not over his head really, but high enough that I suppose he
panicked and thrashed about, finally succumbing.

I had what I thought was a mouse living in my garage about 3 months ago.
After he took an entire roll of paper towels and tore it into little
pieces and stuffed it in the rafters, I knew he had to go. I knew he
liked paper towels, so I hung a roll over one of those four-foot high
trash cans. Then I covered the top of the trash can with toilet paper,
and created a pathway to run to the top of the trash can. Sort of like
an African lion trap. In a couple of days he tore off the toilet paper,
and swiped some of the paper towels too. Obviously he was a
mutant-genius rodent.

Then I bought a live trap. It took several days, and I tried several
baits, none of which seemed effective. Eventually I just put the trap
where he hung out, judging by nut shells. One day I came out and I had
trapped a red squirrel, but he was dead. His death is a mystery, as I
think he was in the cage no more than 24 hours.

After a few days I realized there was another varmint in the garage. I
caught another red squirrel, and found him before he died. A neighbor,
who told me you have to release them 5 miles away, took a fancy to him,
and asked me to release him in his back yard. Be serious. I released
him at a nature preserve, although I bet he saw the homes nearby and
headed for them.

Old January 12th 08, 01:49 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
J T

This year, I've found the D-con black covered mouse traps most reliable.
Mouse has to go in hole, starts to lick peanut butter which sensitive
enough to provide stronger trap to release.

In previous years, I've used the rat zapper. This year I finally
figured out where they were entering my apt. In the bedroom closet
which contains the water heater. Caught all in there.

Turns out I started getting mice 5 years ago after they changed the
water heater. Finally, in front of my nose I found the hole. They had
sawed a hole in the wall for the water heaters power silver rectangle
box. It had a nice narrow crack beside it. I covered with duct tape.
I haven't had a mouse since.

Good luck. I suggest keep experimenting with low cost traps. I'd get
the tiniest mice as only they can fit through the crack and therefore
can lick off the peanut butter on traps they can see. (?)

JT

Old June 16th 16, 08:53 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

I went lowei bought RESL KILL GLUE TARPS 2 I A BOX WE PUT THE TRAPS THE LONG WAY UNDER THE KITCHEN SICK ON THE FLOOR AND WE WE GO ONE
Old June 16th 16, 08:57 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

I meant home depo it has on the BOX for rats and mice call REAL KILL.
Old June 18th 16, 12:09 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 06/17/2016 11:50 AM, Michael Black wrote:
On Wed, 15 Jun 2016, wrote:

I went lowei bought RESL KILL GLUE TARPS 2 I A BOX WE PUT THE TRAPS THE
LONG WAY UNDER THE KITCHEN SICK ON THE FLOOR AND WE WE GO ONE

I once caught a mouse.

It wsa in the basement, I went down to get something from the freezer and
I noticed a big ball of lint in the sink (that feeds the washing machine).
I pick it up, it moves, it's not lint. It's a mouse. Somehow got down
there, then couldn't get up the steep walls of the sink. I thought about
it, and got a jar, and got the mouse to climb in. I put a lid on it, went
outside, and let the mouse hop away. Though I figure he may have
immediately tried to get back into the house.

I used one of those little plastic tip-traps to catch one at work. I
gave the container to the maintenance guy, who took it outside and
either let it go or squashed it flat. I didn't want to know. Not my
problem.

My sister caught a mouse by leaving the lobster pot out overnight still
full of water. The mouse got in, and was found floating in the pot the
next day.

I favor the old-fashioned spring traps. First, you need to adjust it so
it has an almost-hair trigger -- they come from the factory with various
pressures due to ****-poor quality control. The best bait I found was a
small piece of fruit attached to the bait platform with a few windings
of thread and some peanut butter smeared over it. Place it right next
to a wall -- they like to run along the edges rather than out through
the middle of the room. If you're squeamish, put the trap in a small
paper bag. If you see a tail sticking out in the morning you can just
throw the whole thing away. Yeah, I know, they're reusable. But not by
me.

I once picked one up where the mouse had just been caught by the snout,
and he JUMPED. Sorry to say I inhumanely threw him into the trash
without administering any sort of coup de grace whatsoever. His dumb
luck for being born a mouse.

--
Cheers, Bev
Old September 24th 17, 07:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

im sorry but i have the same problem but u just gave me a new idea so thx for that! I wish i could help!