Postage stamps

Old September 24th 17, 10:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
John Weiss[_4_]

Default Postage stamps

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 14:29:47 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoan NotJoann

wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

The 2.25% is probably the amount the processor charges them for the
transaction fee. The government is not willing to underwrite the fee,
so it gets charged back to you.

FWIW, in many countries outside the USA, additional fees for credit card
use are still common...

Retail entities build the cost of credit into their business models,
because they expect a large percentage of their business to be based on
credit cards. Most tax collectors haven't gotten to that level yet...
Old September 25th 17, 12:36 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

The 2.25% is probably the amount the processor charges them for the
transaction fee. The government is not willing to underwrite the fee,
so it gets charged back to you.

I do know that but when that small percentage turns into $43 is when
I balk. Thankfully I have the choice to pay by credit/debit/check.
It's a no-brainer I will choose a check and a stamp especially when
my checking account is free as are my checks.

Choice, it's a good thing.
Old September 25th 17, 02:10 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

wrote:

I do mail in my property taxes as
the company that does the credit/debit card processing for the county
for this tax charges a 2.25% convenience fee. That doesn't sound like
much but it comes out to be about $43 so I'm more than willing to write
a check and spring for a postage stamp.

The 2.25% is probably the amount the processor charges them for the
transaction fee. The government is not willing to underwrite the fee,
so it gets charged back to you.

FWIW, in many countries outside the USA, additional fees for credit card
use are still common...

Retail entities build the cost of credit into their business models,
because they expect a large percentage of their business to be based on
credit cards. Most tax collectors haven't gotten to that level yet...

If you want to own property, you have to pay the taxes. You can't go
shop elsewhere. So that is not going to motivate them. They have no
sales to lose.
Old September 25th 17, 07:11 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Sun, 24 Sep 2017 17:10:48 -0700, Bob F wrote:

If you want to own property, you have to pay the taxes. You can't go
shop elsewhere. So that is not going to motivate them. They have no
sales to lose.

Heh heh. Nope. Over 65 in Alabama, homesteaded, low income
in most cases = NO property tax. None.
Old September 25th 17, 11:59 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Monday, September 25, 2017 at 12:11:42 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Heh heh. Nope. Over 65 in Alabama, homesteaded, low income
in most cases = NO property tax. None.

Well, in Tennessee it depends on how much your pension is if
you get a break and if your county participates. Nobody here
is exempt from property taxes that I know of but I could be
wrong. But then again y'all have a state income tax and we
don't but you don't tax Social Security and neither does
Tennessee.