Frugal Investing

Old July 9th 17, 06:48 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default Frugal Investing

On Friday, July 7, 2017 at 9:50:19 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 6:47:46 PM UTC-7, catalpa wrote:
wrote in message
I am making way too much money right now. I don't even want to spend it if
I can help it but I should be earning interest on it. I am so unprepared
but I never thought this day would come. What do I do?

Open an account with Vanguard and invest in index funds.

Or buy low expense index ETFs in your brokerage account.

Keep in mind you should have a balance of equity and fixed income
investments. The ratio is decided by your risk tolerance.

Thanks for the info.

I do have some high risk tolerance. Basically in 3 years I turned about $1000 into $150,000 all high risk but I hit the peak of my capabilities and it's time to start protecting and managing what I have made.

yes, 150k can or cannot be much, depending on what part of Calif you live in

best to have some kind of income -
you can go through 150k easily, or miserly, it depends on expenses

as far as making 150k grow, it's the old risk vs reward

crypto curriencies[?] have potential, but lots of risk
and vs as mentioned 1%+ from online savings

marc
Old July 10th 17, 08:21 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

The Beaver shared,
"I do have some high risk tolerance. Basically in 3 years I turned about $1000 into $150,000 all high risk but I hit the peak of my capabilities and it's time to start protecting and managing what I have made."

Really? You should call Guinness. And yet you're on a dying newsgroup asking for advice on what to do with your money.

If true you should open an office on Wall Street and start a hedge fund, money, because continuing your ROR, in nine years you'll be the richest person in the world, and in a few more years you'll own ALL the money.
Old July 10th 17, 08:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 11:22:04 AM UTC-7, wrote:
The Beaver shared,
"I do have some high risk tolerance. Basically in 3 years I turned about $1000 into $150,000 all high risk but I hit the peak of my capabilities and it's time to start protecting and managing what I have made."

Really? You should call Guinness. And yet you're on a dying newsgroup asking for advice on what to do with your money.

If true you should open an office on Wall Street and start a hedge fund, money, because continuing your ROR, in nine years you'll be the richest person in the world, and in a few more years you'll own ALL the money.

I wish it would work like that. This is where peak hits. I am on a plateau now and it will actually decline a bit once summer's over and there will be a few months where I make almost nothing.

Basically I am exploiting market price disparities as well as what the casual consumer knows about how certain things work versus what I know. Think retail arbitage though that isn't exactly it. I've reached the absolute peak of the kind of volume I can handle, as well as having multiple income streams shut down and also prices normalized to what consumers will pay, cutting me out. Also selling off all my collectables amassed from years of buying, hoarding and inheriting and I am running out of stuff.

I was extremely lucky and I have no problem admitting I really have no idea what I am doing, I would just watch the numbers keep going up in total awe and then when the work situtation was shaken up, I just bailed. And the previously mentioned figure isn't all cash but the value of my inventory.
Old July 11th 17, 01:53 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Monday, July 10, 2017 at 3:07:49 PM UTC-7, Dennis wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 11:45:31 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Basically I am exploiting market price disparities as well as what the casual consumer knows about how certain things work versus what I know. Think retail arbitage though that isn't exactly it. I've reached the absolute peak of the kind of volume I can handle, as well as having multiple income streams shut down and also prices normalized to what consumers will pay, cutting me out. Also selling off all my collectables amassed from years of buying, hoarding and inheriting and I am running out of stuff.

I was extremely lucky and I have no problem admitting I really have no idea what I am doing, I would just watch the numbers keep going up in total awe and then when the work situtation was shaken up, I just bailed. And the previously mentioned figure isn't all cash but the value of my inventory.

How many Metallica Tour shirts does it take to get a Big Mac?

Dennis (evil)

My back hurts just thinking about it. I did sell a single shirt to a museum for $250 a few months ago. It's time for me to start dressing like an adult anyway.
Old October 12th 17, 03:23 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Thursday, July 6, 2017 at 10:39:06 AM UTC-7, wrote:
I am making way too much money right now. I don't even want to spend it if I can help it but I should be earning interest on it. I am so unprepared but I never thought this day would come. What do I do?

Is $80-100,000 too low to reap enough dividends to pay my basic monthly living expenses of under $1000?
Old October 25th 17, 04:37 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, October 24, 2017 at 6:49:14 PM UTC-5, John Weiss wrote:

The key is to find a bank/credit union that won't charge more in fees
than you get in interest. The good news is that $100K may be enough for
them to waive monthly fees; the bad news is that you may have to keep a
chunk of that money in low- or no-interest accounts.

I pay no fees or a monthly charge on checking and savings account;
never have. I only keep a few thousand dollars in the savings
account and that's to cover any appliance or vehicle emergencies.
Years ago I signed up to have my paycheck deposited in my checking
account and that qualified me for free checking. I only write 4-5
checks per year and when I need new ones (the plain blue or green)
I order them online from one of the check printing places for a LOT
less than the bank charges.

Interest on Money Market accounts is in the 0.5% range. Shorter-term
CDs (12-24 months) max out around 2%. Laddering them takes a bit of
time and effort to set up the sequence; and at the beginning, much of
your $$ will be in very-short-term CDs or holding accounts with lower
interest. Of course, YMMV depending on type of bank (brick, online,
credit union...) and current special offers.

I don't even fool with CD's any more as the bank keeps the lion
share of interest. That money is with an investment company.