how to catch a clever mouse?

Old January 8th 08, 01:18 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
OhioGuy

Default how to catch a clever mouse?

For the past couple of weeks, I've been trying to catch a mouse that my
wife saw in the kitchen. I put two mouse traps in there, but only one was
messed with - the mouse evidently took its time very, very carefully licking
all of the peanut butter off it it, without even setting it off! It was
licked clean, too, every bit of peanut butter gone.

I put my cat inside in the kitchen for a couple of nights, and for a while
thought maybe it had caught and eaten the mouse. However, this morning when
I walked in the kitchen and turned on the light, the little bugger jumped
off of the countertop and ran back behind the stove.

I'm getting really sick of it. It doesn't seem to be getting into any of
our food on the countertop, because we have it inside glass gallon sized
jars. However, the mouse sure seems to poop and pee a lot up there on the
counter for its size, and I'm tired of having to clean up after it.

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Old January 8th 08, 01:56 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
max

In article , "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

try the conventional traps with the big yellow plastic trigger paddle.
Place them in natural choke points. Eventually he'll screw up.

..max

--
The part of betatron @ earthlink . net was played by a garden gnome
Old January 8th 08, 02:12 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bernardo Gui

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

[...]

I've had excellent luck with those sticky cards. They are cardboard,
with a very sticky glue on one side. Wal-Mart sells them, as well as
most other grocery and housewares stores. They cost a buck or two.

I put one under the stove and near a known mouse path. It took only a
few hours to catch the beast. He was too smart for traditional traps.
The house has been mouse-free ever since, but I am ready if any more
find a way in...

Bernardo
Old January 8th 08, 04:37 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Jeff[_7_]

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

The mice traps that the mouse crawls into seem to work very well. My
brother uses them and has no trouble catching mice, sometime he'll have
more than one in the same trap.

Now, he lives near the edge of a valley and dumps the live mice out
in the woods and they simply come back in to get caught again. The mice
never learn. Neither does my brother!

Now, for rats (and mice also), the poison just plain works. And you
don't have to kill the mouse yourself.

For myself, I use the cat method. Cats may bring mice in the house,
but they never make it out alive. Not every cat is up to that, but most
are. In fact nothing lives in the yard that isn't larger than a cat!

Jeff

Old January 8th 08, 04:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Al Bundy[_1_]

OhioGuy wrote:
[...]

Somehow you have to be smarter than the mouse. I give the mouse a
50/50 chance of dying of old age. Your best hope is that the mouse
doesn't pass all his genes on to his progeny.
Old January 8th 08, 07:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Seerialmom

On Jan 8, 4:18*am, "OhioGuy" wrote:
[...]

Ideas:
Put peanut butter in the center of a glue trap.
Put peanut butter on a small piece of cardboard, place in the bottom
of a 19 gallon trash container, be sure to provide means for the
critter to enter the container but the sides will be too tall to
escape.
Look for any entrance holes and plug with steel wool.

Old January 8th 08, 08:04 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:
Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

I use the standard spring traps, but I tie a short piece of yarn
around the trigger, then use a toothpick to smear peanutbutter on it,
working it into the fibers of the yarn. The greedy little buggers
will usually tug at the yarn to get the last bit of bait, to their
detriment.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.
Old January 8th 08, 08:16 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 07:18:25 -0500, "OhioGuy" wrote:

Can anyone suggest a better alternative to traditional mousetraps?
Something that will catch a mouse that seems smart and careful enough to
outwit a traditional trap?

Here is a different idea: I have a leftover piece of sheet vinyl
flooring stored in my workshop/barn (I'm sure I'll find a use for it
someday :-). In the meantime, it is rolled into a tube-shape about
2.5 ft. tall and stored standing upright on its end in a corner.

Every time I move the tube of flooring (usually rearranging junk or
looking for something else), I find at least one, sometime more, dead
dessicated mice at the bottom of the tube. Apparently, there is
something about it that is irresistable to curious mice.

Dennis (evil)
Old January 8th 08, 08:38 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
sno

OhioGuy wrote:

[...]

Get some chocolate chips....leave some shaved pieces around the trap...
tie one to the trigger with thread....once they get a taste of the
chocolate they seem to lose any caution they may have had....got
rid of a whole family that would not go near any other kind of bait..
or trap......it is important to give them a free taste first....

hope helps...let me know...have fun......sno