Amana Air Command 80 Gas Fired Furnace (4 blinks) troubleshooting

Old January 24th 08, 06:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

Default Amana Air Command 80 Gas Fired Furnace (4 blinks) troubleshooting

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:14:29 GMT, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer
Coordinator" wrote:

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:18:07 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Call a professional heating
and repair person to fix the problem.

I did. He'll be out here on Saturday. Isn't there ANY maintenance a
homeowner can do themselves?

I'm sure, from the symptoms, that the "limits" kicked in, probably due to
some problem with air circulation.

Besides the filter (which was very dirty but I replaced it yesterday), what
other maintenance can I do.

For example, someone said clean the A/C coils ... but WHERE ARE THEY?

The furnace is in a tiny closet. The AC fan is outside the house.

Leave it alone. Let the pro fix it.
You can ask him about what you can do with the maintenances.
Just keep your pipes from freezing until he gets there.

--Vic
Old January 24th 08, 11:09 PM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Coordinator" wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 07:18:07 -0500, Shawn Hirn wrote:
Call a professional heating
and repair person to fix the problem.

I did. He'll be out here on Saturday. Isn't there ANY maintenance a
homeowner can do themselves?

I'm sure, from the symptoms, that the "limits" kicked in, probably due to
some problem with air circulation.

Besides the filter (which was very dirty but I replaced it yesterday), what
other maintenance can I do.

For example, someone said clean the A/C coils ... but WHERE ARE THEY?

The furnace is in a tiny closet. The AC fan is outside the house.

Leave it alone. *Let the pro fix it.
You can ask him about what you can do with the maintenances.
Just keep your pipes from freezing until he gets there.

--Vic

The only maintenance you should do yourself is change the filter
often. They say about once a month, but you could probably get by
with changing it once every 2 or 3 months if you run it with the fan
swith in "auto". Good filters are very important on systems with air
conditioning to prevent the a/c coil (evaporator) from getting plugged
up with dirt and lint. The cheap fiberglass filters are almost
worthless, use the pleated type. As long as you follow the above
suggestion, your evaporator coil will stay clean and you furnace will
last much longer.

If your evaporator coil is dirty, your heating repair person will need
to clean it. It really isn't something that most homeowners can do on
their own. It usually requires cutting a hole in the sheetmetal to
get access to it, and then vacumming it, blowing it out with
compressed air, and/or washing it with chemicals and water. if it is
really plugged up bad it may need to be completely removed from the
furnace and taken outside to wash with the garden hose. This would
require evacuating the refrigerant circuit and cutting the refrigerant
lines.

Like I mentioned in a post above, leave the fan swithch on the
thermostat to "on" untill the service guy can come out. This might
help get more airflow through your furnace and keep it running a
little longer before tripping on the limit switch.

Good luck.

Old January 25th 08, 06:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:51:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
She said the small fan wasn't running.

Only in the beginning. Now both fans run continuously but the flame goes
out, likely because of a limit being reached.

Tomorrow the repairman arrives.

I'm amazed, on the entire net, I can't find a single photographic
description of how to maintain an Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired home
closet furnace.

This is shocking for home repairees.

Donna
Old January 25th 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vic Smith

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 17:15:47 GMT, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer
Coordinator" wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 01:51:35 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
She said the small fan wasn't running.

Only in the beginning. Now both fans run continuously but the flame goes
out, likely because of a limit being reached.

Tomorrow the repairman arrives.

I'm amazed, on the entire net, I can't find a single photographic
description of how to maintain an Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired home
closet furnace.

This is shocking for home repairees.

Donna

Hey, my Rheem Criterion II is short-cycling, and the troubleshooting
manual is packed away in a box somewhere.
I think it's a limit switch, maybe the flame sensor tossing an error
when it heats up too much, the thermostat, or just rapid heat loss
from the house because it's been near 0F here.
Not a big deal, but the short cycling irritates me.
I've fixed this thing before (ignitor) and the manual was useful.
Couldn't find anything on the net, unless I had a HVAC license or
whatever. I think the repair industry has the manuals locked down.
Kind of makes sense from the safety aspect that they typical homeowner
could get him and his family killed messing with the furnace.
Of course we're not typical, are we?
Anyway, you can find a dealer to get your manuals, but the net is a
poor resource for them.

--Vic
Old January 26th 08, 03:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 13:51:31 -0500, Stormin Mormon wrote:
Maybe the folks who build them would prefer that only
the trained techs work on them?

Well, the guy called yesterday and said a client cancelled and ended up
coming over 1 day early.

He fiddled with a paper clip in the combustion motor orifice but that
didn't solve anything. He looked about, here and there, and decided
something was wrong but he knew not what. He cleaned the flame sensor but
that didn't change anything.

He said basically what everyone here said. There is something wrong with
the flow of air because the furnace is shutting itself off. He said we'd
have to pay 400 for his son to come back and clean out the "condenser
coils". I was aghast that he was guessing what the problem was and that his
son was doing the work but he said he was qualified. So, I paid the $100
visit fee and 25% of the cleaning fee as what could I do (you all said we
have to bring over the tech folks).

My new question ... Is this a normal thing where the problem isn't obvious
so you start cleaning? It seems so based on the prior responses here but
I'd like to doublecheck, especially since four days takehome pay (for me)
are riding on this.

Thanks for your advice,
Donna
Old January 27th 08, 01:21 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 18:14:04 -0500, Bubba wrote:
One way to find a good company is:
Look in the phone book for who distributes your brand furnace.

I did, I did! I called Amana many times - they are the ones who referred me
to the repairman who showed up at my house. What else would you recommend
other than an Amana-recommended repairman. I don't get it.

Here's what I did ..

First I called the Amana number in the maintenance manual (pretty crappy
manual, I might add) at 800-843-0304. They were closed so a day later I
called again but they referred me to 888-842-2440, which turned out not to
handle furnaces (the Amana personnel didn't know the difference between a
furnace and an air conditioner).

Finally, they referred me to 877-337-3636 which did handle Amana forced-air
furnaces.

That third number provided me, based on my zip code, three possible
repairpeople. I called the first one they gave me and he's the one who came
by.

Are you saying we should not go to the ones Amana recommends?
Old January 27th 08, 04:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair, misc.consumers.house, misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Jan 24, 6:36*am, wrote:
On Jan 24, 12:21*am, "Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator"

wrote:
8. Four blinks indicate an "open Limit Control (primary or auxilliary)".

Despite the fact that three blinks and a non-spinning top (smaller) motor
were the initial problem, I now have consistently four blinks and a
non-spinning bottom (larger) motor in my Amana Air Command 80 gas-fired
furnace.

Reading the instructions it says:
quote
Open Limit Control (Primary or Auxiliary)
If either limit control opens, the air circulation and vent blower will be
turned on until the limit closes. The diagnostic light code for this is
four short flashes followed by a pause. The probable cause is either:
a) Low conditioned air flow due to dirty filter or resistance in duct work,
b) Faulty limit, faulty blower, or blower speed set too low.
end quote

What does that mean?
What is a "limit control"?
Which motor is the "air circulation" (bottom big motor?) blower?
Which motor is the "vent blower" (top small motor?)?

I know the filter is clean because, while it was really dirty, I replaced
it and I still have the problem. I have no idea how to test resistance in
the duct work, but, I didn't change anything to change that, either before
or after the problem ocurred.

I would have no idea how to set the blower speed.

What's a faulty "limit" and how would I test to ascertain the cause?

Donna

You will need to call someone out to fix your furnace, but here are
some answers to your questions.

The "limit" is a thermostatic switch inside of the furnace that is
there to shut down the burners if it gets too hot. *It sounds like
it's doing it's job. *The problem you now have sounds like a bad
blower motor (The large motor that circulates air through you house).
Try seting the fan switch on your thermostat to "on" if you can. *That
usually will operate the fan on high speed and it may get you by for a
while if it works. *If you have air conditioning and you have been
neglecting you air filters, you also may have a plugged up evaporator
coil. *The furnace guy will likely need to take apart or cut a hole in
the ductwork surrounding the evaporator coil to inspect and clean it
if needed.

The problems you were having earlier with the pressure switch could be
caused by something getting stuck in the flue. *Sometimes, small birds
or other animals like to hang out on the flue pipe on the roof since
it is warm. *They then pass out from the carbon monoxide and fall into
the pipe causing a "restriction". *Someone will need to disconnect the
flue pipe from the top of the furnace and look inside of it and remove
the dead creature if there is one.

Like I said earlier, time to get the checkbook or creadit card ready
and call a reputible heating company to come out to fix your furnace.
Good luck.- Hide quoted text -

Start your own online business. Sell ebooks/software. Full reprint
rights. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Make money with your own website. Keep 100% of all profits.
http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Earn tons of cash online selling ebooks/software. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

The best online income opportunity. Operate your own ebusiness.
http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Earn big money by selling ebooks/software with your own website. Keep
all profits for yourself. http://www.fastdatacash.com/in.php?ix=1959

Old January 27th 08, 08:34 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:21:18 -0500, Bubba wrote:
Then call that company and ask what they charge to come out or if they
charge flat rate or hourly.

I called another company, as you advised, and they came out this morning.
They said they'd charge $80 to come out and that would be put toward parts.
They too were not sure what the problem was, but here is verbatim what they
wrote on the sales slip afterward.

Can you help decode this for me? The furnace is working but I think only
because he changed a setting on one of the motors.

Here's what he wrote ...

Found PSC Motor Running slow and High Limit kicking out
& re-setting either bad motor or dirty coil.
More than likely coil.
Motor is not hot to touch.
$80
Old January 27th 08, 09:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Rod Speed[_1_]

Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 09:21:18 -0500, Bubba wrote:
Then call that company and ask what they charge to come out or if
they charge flat rate or hourly.

I called another company, as you advised, and they came out this
morning. They said they'd charge $80 to come out and that would be
put toward parts. They too were not sure what the problem was, but
here is verbatim what they wrote on the sales slip afterward.

Can you help decode this for me? The furnace is working but I think
only because he changed a setting on one of the motors.

Here's what he wrote ...

Found PSC Motor Running slow and High Limit kicking out & re-setting

The PSC motor is running slower than it should be and the limit is tripping.

either bad motor or dirty coil.

Thats what he thinks is the most likely cause of the above.

More than likely coil.

That should be obvious.

Motor is not hot to touch.

So its unlikely to be a bad motor.

$80

Old January 28th 08, 04:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,misc.consumers.house,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Gary Heston

In article ,
Donna Ohl, Grady Volunteer Coordinator wrote:
[ ... ]
I called another company, as you advised, and they came out this morning.

[ ... ]

Here's what he wrote ...

Found PSC Motor Running slow and High Limit kicking out
& re-setting

Describing the problem--the High Limit is being triggered; I believe
that's the high pressure sensor you mentioned earlier. That means the
fan is trying to blow air, but it's backing up. Another possibility
is the motor overheating and triggering it's thermal protection switch,
which will reset when the motor cools orr.

either bad motor or dirty coil.
More than likely coil.
Motor is not hot to touch.

The motor isn't over heating, so it and the High Limit are working correctly,
and the problem is that something is obstructing air flow downstream from
the blower--like a coil full of lint and debris, which got that way due to
the filter not being changed monthly like it's supposed to be.

$80

What it cost to get the same basic answer your got from the first tech; the
coil needs to be cleaned. Have whichever outfit will charge less do it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

We live in amazing times, when one person can invent both the Internet
and global warming, then get awarded a "peace prize".