Visa gift card?

Old June 19th 06, 06:23 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Visa gift card?

Anybody ever get and use one of these Visa gif cards?

Do I understand correct that they work just like a
credit except that you "charge" them up front with
certain amt of money?

Would they make a good replacement to a traditional
credit card you think?

How much info must you give abt yourself to get one?
Old June 19th 06, 09:17 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Jamie" wrote:

I got one of those for my birthday.

Thinking abt one as a form of cash while on canoe trip

That's reason for question

Or is credit card as good..maybe better?
Old June 19th 06, 09:43 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

"Rod Speed" wrote:

And I always have more than one card when away from home
too. That way if an ATM does decide to keep the card and its
late at night etc, its just a nuisance, not a disaster.

Ditto if you manage to lose one. Obviously you dont keep them together.

Great idea Rod

Thanks!!
Old June 19th 06, 10:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:43:25 -0500, wrote in message

"Rod Speed" wrote:

And I always have more than one card when away from home
too. That way if an ATM does decide to keep the card and its
late at night etc, its just a nuisance, not a disaster.

Ditto if you manage to lose one. Obviously you dont keep them together.

Great idea Rod

Thanks!!

http://www.visa.ca/en/personal/travelmoney.cfm

The VISA TravelMoney Card is a prepaid card which can only be used at
Automated Teller Machines (ATM). It is specifically designed to
conveniently meet the cash needs of travellers. VISA TravelMoney cards
are PIN-protected, replaceable and offer competitive exchange rates at
over 810,000 ATMs that display a VISA symbol in 150 countries - 24 hours
a day, 7 days a week.

VISA TravelMoney - At a Glance

VISA TravelMoney cards are prepaid, so cash withdrawals are limited
to the amount loaded on the card.
The purchaser decides how much to load onto the card.
If your TravelMoney card is lost or stolen, no one can access your
funds without knowing your PIN.
Obtain local currency at competitive foreign exchange rates from any
ATM that displays a VISA symbol.
Reload your VISA TravelMoney card when funds on your card have been
depleted.
Old June 21st 06, 01:30 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living

There are similar cards made by Mastercard and American Express. You
can get them and the Visa ones at Safeway or Rite Aid.

At least two people came in the store where I've worked since the end
of April using Visa gift cards for $50. One person who came into my
previous place of work used an AmEx gift card. I've never seen anyone
use a Mastercard one, however.

I've heard Discover makes gift cards also, but I have never seen these
for sale anywhere.

MSNBC: Avoid the PIN pad when using your debit card J.K. Frugal living 141 March 22nd 06 03:38 PM
Can a bank / credit union REFUSE to issue "Ordinary ATM Card" ? [email protected] Frugal living 90 January 18th 06 05:23 AM
Card Companies Offset Bankruptcy Cost With High Interest, Fees MrPepper11 Frugal living 17 March 15th 05 02:21 AM
gift cards, certficates. Frugal living 1 November 29th 04 10:42 PM
Which Medicare Prescription Drug Card to Choose? Stephen Powell Frugal living 2 November 9th 04 08:10 PM