Green Changes to Home to Save $ in Chicago Area

Old May 26th 15, 04:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
mwm314

Default Green Changes to Home to Save $ in Chicago Area

Has anyone had a good/rewarding experience with making green changes to their home to save $? I was thinking of changing to the renewable nrg provider. Additionally I considered solar panels and geothermal nrg.

Any helpful input appreciated,
Matt
Old May 29th 15, 11:34 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bruce Esquibel

mwm314 wrote:
Has anyone had a good/rewarding experience with making green changes to
their home to save $? I was thinking of changing to the renewable nrg
provider. Additionally I considered solar panels and geothermal nrg.

Any helpful input appreciated,
Matt

If you are in Chicago, forget solar panels, those things need full daylight
to do anything useful and on average, Chicago only gets about 150 of those
kind of days.

With the renewable energy company, either switch to them to go green or stay
with the public/city provider to save money. You can't get both. All those
alternate power companies hide something after you are off the initial
billing plan so in 6 or 12 months, you are going to regret switching.

Either move to the southwest to enjoy 300+ days a year of sunshine or to
somehwere in the northwest where the power companies actually compete with
each other to provide service.

Chicago isn't a place for either of those options. No clue on geothermal
except it seems expensive as all **** and needs like 20-25 years to break
even on the install, if even that short of time.

-bruce