Today's "Curtis" comic strip - refreshing!

Old June 10th 15, 05:26 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default Today's "Curtis" comic strip - refreshing!

http://www.seattlepi.com/comics-and-...is/2015-06-10/

SPOILER

I can't remember the last time a comic strip parent made a kid WORK for the ordinary luxuries the kid wants (when the kid's allowance can't cover them)...

But, it's too easy to imagine your average preteen saying: "Oh, never mind, Dad, I don't really need all that stuff; I'll just get some recent DVDs from the library that I haven't seen yet."

As I've mentioned before, it used to be pretty common, a century ago or so, for parents not to give "allowances" at all - and to make them do chores for nothing. If they wanted any money, either they had to do EXTRA chores or do chores for the neighbors. Just because that system is pretty unusual these days doesn't mean that it wouldn't be better than what parents so often do now. It would force kids to learn to prioritize, for one thing - and it would teach them that we ALL have unpaid work to do, even as adults. (Even rich people have to do the work of going to long meetings with their financial advisers - and pay THEM, not the other way around!)

Lenona.