"Why Do Women Have More Credit Card Debt Than Men?"

Old July 1st 15, 12:59 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default "Why Do Women Have More Credit Card Debt Than Men?"

http://pjmedia.com/drhelen/2015/06/2...-men/#comments

22 comments. Some are fascinating.

(For the record, I have NEVER paid interest on a credit card.)

One said:

"Men do not like to accumulate debt so much, because we walk the highwire without a net to catch us if we fall. We don't get to run to Daddy or Mommy or a new girlfriend or wife to bail us out. It's unmanly."

Lenona.
Old July 1st 15, 04:44 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

@@ (eye roll) Not necessarily so. And who in hell is 'Dr. Helen Smith'?
Old July 1st 15, 05:34 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10:44:56 AM UTC-4, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

@@ (eye roll) Not necessarily so. And who in hell is 'Dr. Helen Smith'?

I agree, but if women accumulate more debt, it's important to look at the most common reasons for it, whatever they turn out to be.

Here's one possibly significant reason. Columnist Katha Pollitt wrote, in 2006:

"Believe it or not, there are still stereotypically male jobs that pay well and don't require college degrees--plumbing, cabinetry, electrical work, computer repair, refrigeration, trucking, mining, restaurant cuisine. My daughter had two male school friends, good students from academically oriented families, who chose cooking school over college. Moreover, as I'll discuss in my next column, sex discrimination in employment is alive and well: Maybe boys focus less on school because they think they'll come out ahead anyway. What solid, stable jobs with a future are there for women without at least some higher ed? Heather Boushey, an economist with the Center for Economic Policy and Research, noted that women students take out more loans than their male classmates, even though a BA does less to increase their income.. The sacrifice would make sense, though, if the BA made the crucial difference between respectable security and a lifetime as a waitress or a file clerk."

And, to answer your question, Dr. Helen Smith is a forensic psychologist (you DO know, of course, that she didn't write the U.S. News & World Report article?) who wrote the popular 2013 book "Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters" plus "The Scarred Heart : Understanding and Identifying Kids Who Kill."

From Amazon:
"Dr. Smith has personally evaluated over 5000 mentally disturbed adults and children from Harlem, New York to rural Tennessee and acted as an expert in various murder trials. Her popular writings have appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, Houston Chronicle, Philadelphia Inquirer, the Memphis Commercial Appeal and various online magazines."

Bottom line is: Aside from her work with her patients, she also writes a great deal in her blog about men's rights and how women can behave just as badly and irresponsibly as men, if not worse at times, and how the mainstream media tend to ignore that.

If you like, here's my review for her book "Men on Strike" (my ONLY review for Amazon, since I don't like to support Amazon if I can avoid it):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-...#RTCXZDF51QUL4

I quoted the same Pollitt passage in it. BTW, the book doesn't take long to read, since there are only about 290 words per page - probably fewer, on average.

Lenona.
Old July 2nd 15, 08:24 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10:34:45 AM UTC-5, wrote:

On Wednesday, July 1, 2015 at 10:44:56 AM UTC-4, ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

@@ (eye roll) Not necessarily so. And who in hell is 'Dr. Helen Smith'?

And, to answer your question, Dr. Helen Smith is a forensic psychologist (you DO know, of course, that she didn't write the U.S. News & World Report article?) who wrote the popular 2013 book "Men on Strike: Why Men Are Boycotting Marriage, Fatherhood, and the American Dream - and Why It Matters" plus "The Scarred Heart : Understanding and Identifying Kids Who Kill."

From Amazon:
"Dr. Smith has personally evaluated over 5000 mentally disturbed adults and children from Harlem, New York to rural Tennessee and acted as an expert in various murder trials. Her popular writings have appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Christian Science Monitor, Houston Chronicle, Philadelphia Inquirer, the Memphis Commercial Appeal and various online magazines."

Lenona.

Sorry, still never heard of her and frankly don't care what
she writes or who she 'evaluates.'