Ear plugs that work?

Old March 14th 15, 06:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
KenK

Default Ear plugs that work?

Anyone found any ear plugs that work? The silicone surface plugs don't seem
to work at all. The foam(?) cylindical ones with the rounded end work very
poorly - quite well if you put your fingers in your ears on top of them but
that's frequently not practical (brand, Mack's). Any I missed? That's all I
saw on the store shelf I tried.

I need something that fits in the ear, not on the surface like ear muffs or
headsets with or without music. I want something I can sleep comfortably
with. The sound generators that make surf or rain or whatever sounds don't
help me much.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Old March 16th 15, 02:26 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Saturday, March 14, 2015 at 12:50:16 PM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

Anyone found any ear plugs that work? The silicone surface plugs don't seem
to work at all. The foam(?) cylindical ones with the rounded end work very
poorly - quite well if you put your fingers in your ears on top of them but
that's frequently not practical (brand, Mack's). Any I missed? That's all I
saw on the store shelf I tried.

Any suggestions?

TIA

There is a trick to putting the foam cylindrical type into your ears. Roll one foam earplug between thumb and forefinger with a bit of pressure until it is compressed and _quite_ skinny. When you've gotten it to its skinny state lightly pull the top of your ear, this slightly opens the ear canal, and place the skinny plug into your ear. Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size and fill the ear canal.

Repeat all steps for your other ear.
Old March 16th 15, 05:45 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
KenK

ItsJoan NotJoann wrote in
:

Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size
and fill the ear canal.

Ahhh! I'll bet that's my poblem. I'm expecting them to work right away.
Thanks much!

Ken

Old March 16th 15, 09:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

I gave up on ear plugs, long ago

I use Cotton Balls
much more convenient, softer...

[or you can try splitting larger cotton balls into two]

marc
Old March 17th 15, 02:02 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:45:58 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

ItsJoan NotJoann wrote in
:

Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size
and fill the ear canal.

Ahhh! I'll bet that's my poblem. I'm expecting them to work right away.
Thanks much!

Ken

You're welcome!

Old March 17th 15, 02:05 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 3:54:51 PM UTC-5, wrote:

I gave up on ear plugs, long ago

I use Cotton Balls
much more convenient, softer...

[or you can try splitting larger cotton balls into two]

marc

Try the method I described above.
Old May 13th 15, 12:41 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Shoe-Chucker 2

In article ,
ItsJoan NotJoann wrote:

On Monday, March 16, 2015 at 11:45:58 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:

ItsJoan NotJoann wrote in
:

Give it about 5 minutes and the earplug will return to its normal size
and fill the ear canal.

Ahhh! I'll bet that's my poblem. I'm expecting them to work right away.
Thanks much!

Ken

You're welcome!

they are not OSHA approved if they have been washed.
--
Karma ; what a concept!
Old May 13th 15, 08:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
ItsJoan NotJoann

On Tuesday, May 12, 2015 at 5:41:48 PM UTC-5, Shoe-Chucker 2 wrote:

they are not OSHA approved if they have been washed.

Who said anything about washing them? Was washing them ever mentioned in the original discussion?

Glad you could join the conversation almost two months after it was originally posted........
Old May 14th 15, 09:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Sat, 14 Mar 2015 18:00:00 -0500, Derald wrote:

KenK wrote:

I need something that fits in the ear, not on the surface like ear muffs or
headsets with or without music. I want something I can sleep comfortably
with. The sound generators that make surf or rain or whatever sounds don't
help me much.

Any suggestions?

I have for years used a product called, "Flent's Ear Stopples", to
virtually eliminate power tool noise, though, don't know whether they'd
be acceptable for sleep wear. A quick google brought up a number of
online sources and I went no further. Ear Stopples consist of bubble
gum shaped cotton batting impregnated with wax. I find one to be enough
for two ears. Once in the ear, body heat softens the wax enough to
enable a complete seal. The number of times they may be reused is
largely limited to ones gross-out level, as they pick up grunge over
time (wax, remember?). I've had the same package since 1975 (really)
and have two unused "units" yet, although the package long ago
disintegrated. Major "con": Ear Stopples leave slightly waxy feeling
residue behind.

Mr. Miagi say: "Wax on, wax off. Wax on, wax off."

Soon you ears will be polished to a nice shine.
Old May 14th 15, 09:47 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

KenK wrote:

[...]

I wrap my earplugs in a (clean) sock and throw them in any other kind but Staber washing machine. Sometimes I will pull out earplugs at a show and they will look all grody on the end and I will hope no one is looking at them when I put them in.