Free food for fish and chickens

Old May 13th 15, 12:39 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Shoe-Chucker 2

Default Free food for fish and chickens

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.
--
Karma ; what a concept!
Old May 14th 15, 12:13 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vandy Terre

On Tue, 12 May 2015 15:39:26 -0700, Shoe-Chucker 2
wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

Why not just hang a solar powered bug light over
the fish or chicken? Less work for you once set
up and very entertaining to watch it work.

Old May 14th 15, 09:33 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

On Wed, 13 May 2015 23:50:04 -0400, Derald wrote:

Shoe-Chucker 2 wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

How do they get the machine open?

I'm trying to envision a fish "looking through" a selection of bugs.

"Oh, that one is a juicy one!"

"Nah, I'll pass on that one, the creme center is always off."

"Joe, you like the hard ones. Her is one for you."

Even more so, I have visions of Elmer Fudd going through a garden at night going
"Shhh, I'm hunting fiwerfwies!"

Old May 15th 15, 05:40 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

Shoe-Chucker 2 wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.
How do they get the machine open?

I'm trying to envision a fish "looking through" a selection of bugs.

"Oh, that one is a juicy one!"

"Nah, I'll pass on that one, the creme center is always off."

"Joe, you like the hard ones. Her is one for you."

Even more so, I have visions of Elmer Fudd going through a garden at night going
"Shhh, I'm hunting fiwerfwies!"

But seriously, back when aquaculture was seen as a big thing, they were
trying to integrate it. So the bugs would get to the chickens (or the
chickens to the bugs) then the chicken waste would roll into the pond,
where the fish would process the waste and turn into protein. Or
something like that.

And the dirty fishwater would nourish the food plants plants that the
bugs grew on. It's the cycle of life!

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old May 15th 15, 07:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Shoe-Chucker 2 wrote:

[...]

Now I feel all Kumbiaya...

Look little lion king. Someday you will be poop and then the next generation
you will be looking out over fields of poop. Doesn't it make you feel majestic?

Old May 19th 15, 02:16 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Dennis

wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

We just skip the middle man and let our chickens wander around and
find their own bugs. Haven't seen a grasshopper around the yard for
years. Wish they ate slugs, though.

Dennis (evil)
Old May 19th 15, 06:20 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

We just skip the middle man and let our chickens wander around and
find their own bugs. Haven't seen a grasshopper around the yard for
years. Wish they ate slugs, though.

Don't ducks eat slugs?

I went out last night with a flashlight in search of the worms that eat
my petunias. I pulled the whole flower off and stepped on the little
buggers, but tonight I took a hemostat :-) I wonder how long it takes
for the systemic fertilizer/bugkiller pellets to dissolve and enter the
plant...

The gardeners plant hundreds of petunia plants across the street. Why
don't the little *******s attack THEM?

--
Cheers, Bev
Todd Flanders' hobbies include being quiet on long rides,
Old May 19th 15, 03:04 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:
I went out last night with a flashlight in search of the worms that
eat my petunias. I pulled the whole flower off and stepped on the
little buggers, but tonight I took a hemostat :-) I wonder how long
it takes for the systemic fertilizer/bugkiller pellets to dissolve
and enter the plant...

Such treatments of flowering plants will not be good for the bees in your area.