Free food for fish and chickens

Old May 19th 15, 09:47 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Michael Black[_2_]

Default Free food for fish and chickens

On Mon, 18 May 2015, The Real Bev wrote:

On 05/18/2015 05:16 PM, Dennis wrote:
On Tue, 12 May 2015 15:39:26 -0700, Shoe-Chucker 2
wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

We just skip the middle man and let our chickens wander around and
find their own bugs. Haven't seen a grasshopper around the yard for
years. Wish they ate slugs, though.

Don't ducks eat slugs?

I went out last night with a flashlight in search of the worms that eat my
petunias. I pulled the whole flower off and stepped on the little buggers,
but tonight I took a hemostat :-) I wonder how long it takes for the
systemic fertilizer/bugkiller pellets to dissolve and enter the plant...

The gardeners plant hundreds of petunia plants across the street. Why don't
the little *******s attack THEM?

Because they are all over at your place, eating your tastier flowers?

Michael
Old May 20th 15, 01:04 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 05/19/2015 06:04 AM, Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:
I went out last night with a flashlight in search of the worms that
eat my petunias. I pulled the whole flower off and stepped on the
little buggers, but tonight I took a hemostat :-) I wonder how long
it takes for the systemic fertilizer/bugkiller pellets to dissolve
and enter the plant...

Such treatments of flowering plants will not be good for the bees in your area.

I have two petunias and 5 chrysanthemums, all in pots. I'm pretty sure
my impact will be minimal.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level.
Old May 20th 15, 01:08 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

We just skip the middle man and let our chickens wander around and
find their own bugs. Haven't seen a grasshopper around the yard for
years. Wish they ate slugs, though.

Don't ducks eat slugs?

I went out last night with a flashlight in search of the worms that eat my
petunias. I pulled the whole flower off and stepped on the little buggers,
but tonight I took a hemostat :-) I wonder how long it takes for the
systemic fertilizer/bugkiller pellets to dissolve and enter the plant...

The gardeners plant hundreds of petunia plants across the street. Why don't
the little *******s attack THEM?

Because they are all over at your place, eating your tastier flowers?

The ones across the street (mall parking lot) are bigger, nicer, and
lots more than I have. I talked to the gardener this morning, who was
putting out snail pellets for the slugs that were eating THEIR petunias.
Slugs are easy, it's the little caterpillars that I need to eliminate.

Much easier to grab the little nasties with a hemostat. I have several
sizes, including the biggest one I could find on line (cheaply made, but
good enough) to pull the weeds out of my cactus plants. I don't see how
people can survive without hemostats!

Old May 20th 15, 08:29 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob F

The Real Bev wrote:

Much easier to grab the little nasties with a hemostat. I have
several sizes, including the biggest one I could find on line
(cheaply made, but good enough) to pull the weeds out of my cactus
plants. I don't see how people can survive without hemostats!

It never entered my mind to use a hemostat for that. I guess it does keep your
fingers clean. I guess it would be more valuable around cactus. I've been
thinking about some kind of extension tool to pull little weeds and grass in my
veggie gardens so I dont have to kneel so much.

Old May 21st 15, 02:35 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Vandy Terre

wrote:

I search the garden for bugs. Dust buster them up and let the chickens
and fish look thru them. Free food. protein.

We just skip the middle man and let our chickens wander around and
find their own bugs. Haven't seen a grasshopper around the yard for
years. Wish they ate slugs, though.

Dennis (evil)

You need some hungry ducks.

Old May 22nd 15, 01:52 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
The Real Bev[_6_]

On 05/20/2015 11:29 AM, Bob F wrote:
The Real Bev wrote:

Much easier to grab the little nasties with a hemostat. I have
several sizes, including the biggest one I could find on line
(cheaply made, but good enough) to pull the weeds out of my cactus
plants. I don't see how people can survive without hemostats!

It never entered my mind to use a hemostat for that. I guess it does keep your
fingers clean. I guess it would be more valuable around cactus. I've been
thinking about some kind of extension tool to pull little weeds and grass in my
veggie gardens so I dont have to kneel so much.

If the dirt is soft enough, try a length of 2" steel pipe and a mallet
or hammer. Put the pipe over the weed, hammer it in, pull it up and go
on to the next one. When the pipe is full push all the weeds out with a
broom handle.

--
Cheers, Bev
Q: How many lawyers does it take to grease a combine?