Winter humidification wastes energy

Old February 22nd 05, 08:03 PM
Vlad

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 19:21:28 -0500, "Gymmie Bob"
wrote:

After getting a nasty poke under a 230kV line some investigations started to
occur. Before the investigators could get my vehicle back to the spot on a
nice sunny dry day the tires got changes and they could not duplicate the
potential hazard. I registered 760Vac to puddle and they could only get 150
or so.

230kV AC? AC?

Another utility bloke told me radial tires have less problem with it. It may
have something to do with the bands of steel going full to the rim in
radials.

"daestrom" wrote in message
. ..

"wmbjk" [email protected]_this citlink.net wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:57:05 GMT, "daestrom"
wrote:

"wmbjk" [email protected]_this citlink.net wrote in message
. ..

It happens to me *every* time I get out of the car (AZ). I sort of
smack the window frame as I get out, which lessens the effect, and
eliminates the surprise. Strangely enough, it *never* happens to my
wife, who wears very similar clothing.

Wayne

Perhaps it's her shoes. Similar clothing would *generate* similar

charge,
but a different kind of shoe could dissipate the charge faster.

Similar shoes most times as well.

Or maybe she holds onto the door when getting out?

We both get out while opening the door by its plastic handle. She's
usually on the passenger side, so I just asked her if she gets a shock
when getting out after driving. She says she might have. So maybe the
charge builds through the steering wheel? Still, it seems like there
must be some other difference. One more thing... I can't remember ever
getting zapped when driving the truck. So, same guy, same clothes,
same (or similar) cloth upholstery, same route, yet a major difference
in the shock frequency. Is it possible that the vehicles could be
getting charged up from driving on dusty roads, and that the lower
ground clearance of the car makes for more charge?

IIRC, most modern tires have enough carbon in the rubber that they can
dissipate static charge through them. I do remember old gas tankers that
would drag a short length of chain under them to keep them 'grounded', but
haven't seen that in years.

Maybe the upholstery or foam cushions underneath?

daestrom

Old May 14th 15, 09:49 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default Winter humidification wastes energy

On Thursday, February 10, 2005 at 1:15:02 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Just got a call from Lennox International's Engineering VP Mark Hogan, after
sending the president and legal department a detailed email with calculations.

He said "You are correct. Winter humidification wastes energy. We will
modify the energy savings claim on our Aprilaire humidifier web site." :-)

Nick

http://lennox.com/pdfs/brochures/Len...umidifiers.pdf

Made You Look, Joann