SeniorArk thread

Old September 24th 06, 11:50 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

Default SeniorArk thread

OK Bob,

Time to fess up. I've looked at SeniorARK and not seen any ads other
than your own for creating websites for people selling real estate,
yet the site has the feel of a site with more than one mind involved
in the creation, and the caveat that ads might be needed in the
future.

Other than your reference to being a frustrated (Methodist?) minister
and ex-real estate person, I'm confused here. Is this a site you are
building with the intention of selling at some point in the future
once the hits are up, or turning into a commercial enterprise? Are
you being backed by someone already? Is there a staff other than
yourself? Or is this a LOL (labor of love) like the original sites
that defined the WWW? Are you mining MCFL for ideas to post on the
site? Where is this all heading?

I would advise others to take a look at Bob's site. It does have some
decent tips. For instance: I never would have thought of photocopying
all the stuff in my wallet in case of loss of the wallet.
Old September 25th 06, 11:25 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
SeniorARK

wrote:
[...]

OK, I fess up: "I DID NOT HAVE SEXUAL RELATIONS WITH THAT WOMAN..." lol
OH NO, that's already been used!!!!!!

WOW!!!!!!! A lot of questions here. You sound like an accountant I once
had in Washington!!!

Since I have imposed my site several times on the MCFL group, I will
respond. Sometimes fessing is fun.

* During my open heart, and several other surgeries in the past two or
three years, I have had time on my hands. So I went into the internet
and learned how to build websites. I was computer illiterate prior.
I've had some fun with it, but no real money. So I display that symbol
with pride.

The site has MANY minds involved. Hundreds of people have sent links
and tips to the
www.seniorark.com site so that other Seniors could
benefit. But I alone created and maintain it. I am sitting at my old
desk, on my creaky old (windows 98) 64MB ram Nu-Topia computer. (Went
out of business in 2,000).
I personally pay for the hosting site, so this effort does cost me a
little $$$. I work on the site, sometimes from early (4AM) til bedtime.
Sometimes only 5 or 6 hours. Nobody is backing me except the Social
Security Administration. The check comes on the 4th Wednesday of every
month! I (we) own our own little house. We bought it when we sold the
big house on a couple acres. Could no longer take care of it, nor
afford it. (Did you read my page:
http://www.seniorark.com/Less%20than...Shoestring.htm
, which explains how we bought retirement housing on a shoestring?)

Read the "WHY" page on the site, and you will get a hint at why I built
SeniorARK. After a lifetime of success in business, I gave it all back
to a bad business, and major surgery after the health insurance was
gone. I was facing retirement "unencumbered by the burdens of wealth."
I had that true phrase in mind before I built the site. In fact the
site is built on that premise. Either my retirement was going to be a
dismal period in my life, or I was going to figure out how to live in a
way that life could still be fun, healthy, and worthwhile. And so I
started to search the web, and found little information for Senior
survival in the face of disappointment. I thought, "There must be
millions, or certainly hundreds of thousands like me who are worrying
about how to put together the details of retirement with few resources"
"And I'll bet many have figured out ways to cope."

So I formed my thoughts, asked seniors for their input, and it is
flowing. I am learning every day ways to save money, protect myself,
and have fun. What other Seniors are not sending, I am finding by
scanning the web 4 or 5 hours every day looking for things of value to
the Senior. And I put it all on the site. I get thank you notes every
day from people who have gotten help from SeniorARK. I have started
conversing with amazing people. I have been able to share my Mother's
amazing story of healing from stage 4 ovarian cancer at age 92, so
Seniors will understand that they should NEVER give up!!!!

Now, about expenses for the site. Right now they are minimal, and they
are my gift to Seniors. This has been the case for the first year. But
the size and content of the site are getting away from me. Pages need
to be split that are getting too long, and loading too slowly. I am
just about at the point where I need some help with the work. Two weeks
ago my heart decided to beat irregularly, and I was a guest for a
couple days at the local hospital. The site was not updated for 3 days,
and I was pushing to get out of the hospital, so I could do it. And I
am concerned that I could exceed the bandwidth I have bought, and
monthly fees may go up. And, I need a much stronger computer, so it
doesn't crash at the end of an hour's lost work.( I save my expletives
for those moments)

I have called it a labor of love, and so it has been. I have enjoyed
every millisecond of it. But a couple extra dollars above expenses each
month would not be turned away. After all, I too am a struggling
Senior. I still have no plan for where the site is headed in terms of
business or expenses. But I do know that just for today, it is headed
toward having more meaty information than it had yesterday, and less
than it will have tomorrow.

Have I answered all of your many inquiries hchick? OH NO. At least one
more. I am not a Methodist, although I did try to give them the truth
for 4 years at Wesley Seminary in Washington. I'm one of those
Presbyterians. Almost Methodist.

Old September 26th 06, 06:20 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
[email protected]

"SeniorARK" wrote:

WOW!!!!!!! A lot of questions here. You sound like an accountant I once
had in Washington!!!

Accountants can ask good questions. More importantly, I was concerned
about your motives, especially since you plug the site repeatedly.

Since I have imposed my site several times on the MCFL group, I will
respond. Sometimes fessing is fun.

Thanks, I didn't know whether to expect a response or a corporate cold
shoulder.

* During my open heart, and several other surgeries in the past two or
three years, I have had time on my hands. So I went into the internet
and learned how to build websites. I was computer illiterate prior.
I've had some fun with it, but no real money. So I display that symbol
with pride.

The more you learn about computers, the more you'll know that we ALL
are computer illiterate, and that it is just a matter of degrees (of
illiteracy, not college degrees).

[...]

Subject to the vagaries of winter and fuel prices, you got a nice
livable house. I had a friend who once bought a house for $6000. It
was "unconventional" construction (telephone crossbars for studs,
untrimmed 2 x 4s for rafters), but it served him and his wife well.
Now I would call that "on a shoestring."

Some folks have to make a life out of just surviving. They have
interesting stories.

Read the "WHY" page on the site, and you will get a hint at why I built
SeniorARK. After a lifetime of success in business, I gave it all back
to a bad business, and major surgery after the health insurance was
gone. I was facing retirement "unencumbered by the burdens of wealth."

That may be one of the next challenges for many old yuppies that
"dropped out" of the rat race, or are just now getting hammered with
the costs of health care.

I think "burdens of wealth" is a more accurate phrase than you might
think. There are a lot of sad people with money. There are a lot of
people with insane priorities, priorities that have been thrust upon
them by their quest to maintain the "lifestyle."

I had that true phrase in mind before I built the site. In fact the
site is built on that premise. Either my retirement was going to be a
dismal period in my life, or I was going to figure out how to live in a
way that life could still be fun, healthy, and worthwhile. And so I
started to search the web, and found little information for Senior
survival in the face of disappointment. I thought, "There must be
millions, or certainly hundreds of thousands like me who are worrying
about how to put together the details of retirement with few resources"
"And I'll bet many have figured out ways to cope."

Many have, at least until recently. There have been a lot of curve
balls thrown in the past few years at those living on fixed incomes,
and there is a potential for a major disaster that could equal the
great depression in scope, and the front runner candidates for 2008
are no FDRs.

So I formed my thoughts, asked seniors for their input, and it is
flowing. I am learning every day ways to save money, protect myself,
and have fun. What other Seniors are not sending, I am finding by
scanning the web 4 or 5 hours every day looking for things of value to
the Senior. And I put it all on the site. I get thank you notes every
day from people who have gotten help from SeniorARK. I have started
conversing with amazing people. I have been able to share my Mother's
amazing story of healing from stage 4 ovarian cancer at age 92, so
Seniors will understand that they should NEVER give up!!!!

"Should" places an imperative. "Need never give up" recognizes that
sometimes giving up is important. One of my uncles had to wait in
pain to die before he could be with his wife again. Grace is
sometimes knowing when to make an exit.

Now, about expenses for the site. Right now they are minimal, and they
are my gift to Seniors. This has been the case for the first year. But
the size and content of the site are getting away from me. Pages need
to be split that are getting too long, and loading too slowly. I am
just about at the point where I need some help with the work. Two weeks
ago my heart decided to beat irregularly, and I was a guest for a
couple days at the local hospital. The site was not updated for 3 days,
and I was pushing to get out of the hospital, so I could do it. And I
am concerned that I could exceed the bandwidth I have bought, and
monthly fees may go up. And, I need a much stronger computer, so it
doesn't crash at the end of an hour's lost work.( I save my expletives
for those moments)

Backup regularly to CD. Crashing can more often be a sign of software
or memory chip problems than other hardware failures.

One simple way of bringing in funds is to set up a paypal account and
have a click to donate box. More seriously, at some point you may
want to consider how the site will continue if you are incapacitated
for a long time.

I have called it a labor of love, and so it has been. I have enjoyed
every millisecond of it. But a couple extra dollars above expenses each
month would not be turned away. After all, I too am a struggling
Senior. I still have no plan for where the site is headed in terms of
business or expenses. But I do know that just for today, it is headed
toward having more meaty information than it had yesterday, and less
than it will have tomorrow.

Have I answered all of your many inquiries hchick? OH NO. At least one
more. I am not a Methodist, although I did try to give them the truth
for 4 years at Wesley Seminary in Washington. I'm one of those
Presbyterians. Almost Methodist.

Reminds me of a Fozzie Bear line in the Muppet Movie. I'll let you
find it. :-)

FWIW, Chickpea is a reference to a Sufi teaching story.
Old September 26th 06, 08:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
Bob Young

"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
or
"I did not lie about the weapons of mass destruction and murder
3,000 American GIs and hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians."

Sex is sinful? Mass murder is just OK?

Old September 26th 06, 09:28 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living
SeniorARK

Bob Young wrote:
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman."
or
"I did not lie about the weapons of mass destruction and murder
3,000 American GIs and hundreds of thousands of innocent civilians."

Sex is sinful? Mass murder is just OK?

Bob,

I couldn't agree with you more. Much of the right, especially the
Christian right, equates morality with just about three things only:
(1) The big one---sex. (2) Murder in the traditional sense--there is
nothing worse than traditional murder, like someone in MY neighborhood,
and (3) Theft, because what I have is mine. How dare "those people" try
to take it. In fact, much of the Christian rightbelieves that God
intends for them all to be wealthy. Very screwed up understanding of
Jesus , in my opinion. I consider myself to be a
conservative--theologically--Christian. I am not on the right, and feel
that the Gospel of Prosperity is closely aligned with a pathetic view
of things that makes the faith look rediculous.

What about the morality of elective war, polution-for-a-buck, denial of
rights, destruction of human dignity, claiming too strongly that one
has the corner on God's will, blind nationalism, apathy to hunger in
the world as we waddle from the table, the attitude of me
first--always, and on and on.

Old thread request Bill 2 Frugal living 37 May 10th 05 09:48 PM
Save Money on Doctor's Bills With Jan Drew's New Treatment Regimen Joel M. Eichen Frugal living 0 November 30th 04 12:11 PM
Clear nylon thread for stitch kit [email protected] Frugal living 26 November 19th 04 08:30 AM
CHeap Sheets not Frugal nina Frugal living 89 May 11th 04 03:32 AM
extending thread: brain damage & recovery Hehn Frugal living 10 March 12th 04 09:01 PM