OT Bargains in Malaysia

Old January 14th 05, 12:27 PM
Mark I

Default OT Bargains in Malaysia

Hello

A family member is travelling to Malaysia this weekend and I was wondering
if anyone knew whether he'd be able to pick me up a bargain MP3 player
there? Anyone been or knows what else is v cheap?

Thanks

Old January 14th 05, 12:44 PM
AMO

"Mark I" wrote in message
Hello

A family member is travelling to Malaysia this weekend and I was wondering
if anyone knew whether he'd be able to pick me up a bargain MP3 player
there? Anyone been or knows what else is v cheap?

Thanks

Stuff is cheap in the Far East, but not as cheap as it used to be. This is
mainly because prices have come down in the West due to higher demand of
products that used to be seen as bleeding edge and only mass produced in the
Far East.

Also, you won't get significant discounts if you hang around the touristy
areas. Also, some of the traders are cons. You need to be a bit careful.

Finally, bear in mind that 1 in the U.K. spends like 6-7 in Malaysia.
Therefore, a 30 saving is not significant in U.K. terms, but is equivalent
to an 180 saving over there. So what you may see as a minimal saving is
seen as a huge saving in local currency, the difference between 15 McDonalds
and 90 McDonalds!!! ;0)

But in general, all I.T. stuff is generally cheaper over there. Also a good
place to get dodgy software especially down Petaling Street. It costs 1 /
CD. These days, its just as easy to use broadband to download it from P2P
networks though.

In general, the more high tech / top of the range the gizmo, the more of a
saving you'll make. As MP3 players are now used en masse in the West,
bottom range items won't be much cheaper.

AMO

Old January 14th 05, 01:12 PM
Gizmo

"Mark I" wrote in message
Hello

A family member is travelling to Malaysia this weekend and I was wondering
if anyone knew whether he'd be able to pick me up a bargain MP3 player
there? Anyone been or knows what else is v cheap?

We were in Kuala Lumpur 3 years ago .... great place )
The place to go to for "bargains" is the chinatown district, where you can
pick up copies of clothing, software, DVDs etc.
Best to go in the day when it's quieter - come evening its packed.

Old January 14th 05, 01:28 PM
Jan

AMO wrote:
"Mark I" wrote in message
[...]

CDs. DVDs Watches Sunglasses from Petaling Street, KL and Batu Ferringhi,
Penang ---all copies of course, though the quality can be very very good.

Clothes, eg mens "Chinos" for around 3 a pair. Silk Shirts etc etc ..We
take very little in the way of clothing and buy there.
Electrical items ( same plugs as UK) Rice cookers are dirt cheap.
Spices and Stainless Steel Cookware....Tiffin sets make unusual gifts.
B&H at KL Duty free RM 35 last year for 200
Look out for "MegaSales" Isetan can have really good deals on Golf
equipment

If they are visiting Langkawi---its a duty free island-- buy alcohol at the
Jeti or Underwater World duty free

Jan
(off to KL on 22nd Jan !!)

Old January 14th 05, 01:48 PM
AMO

"Jan" wrote in message
CDs. DVDs Watches Sunglasses from Petaling Street, KL and Batu
Ferringhi,
Penang ---all copies of course, though the quality can be very very good.

Of course!!! ;0) You won't get genuine stuff in Malaysia's Petaling Street.
Even T-Shirts etc are all forgeries - some are very funny and a complete
pi$$-take of large brands.

Clothes, eg mens "Chinos" for around 3 a pair. Silk Shirts etc etc ..We
take very little in the way of clothing and buy there.
Electrical items ( same plugs as UK) Rice cookers are dirt cheap.

Ah yes. If you buy anything that is sold in abundance in the Far East but
in minimal quantities in the West, you'll get a very good price relative to
what you'd pay here. Also, there is a greater range. For example, you'd be
hard pressed to find a small 'for one' rice cooker in the U.K. You're
better off getting one of those in the Far East. Also, if you like to wear
sandals etc.

In all fairness, when I take a trip to the Far East, my luggage case is
empty. I do a lot of clothes shopping in Hong Kong / Singapore / Malaysia.
Thailand is also supposed to be very good as Malays find that their currency
spends well over there. Just stay away from buying things like Clarkes
shoes as they are a U.K. brand manufactured in the U.K. and exported over
there. They're more expensive over there than here.

Also, there are different perceptions of certain brands. Reebok is highly
regarded, so discounts are fewer. Dunlop is spat on, so they pretty much
pay for you to take it off their hands (only joking, but this brand is seen
as a cheapo rubbish brand over there).

Spices and Stainless Steel Cookware....Tiffin sets make unusual gifts.
B&H at KL Duty free RM 35 last year for 200

Also, when coming back from the airport. I can't remember how much of a
discount you get on fags from Malaysia, but a box of 200 fags from Singapore
costs 5. I don't smoke, but I believe that its costs 2-3 per 20 fag
packed in the U.K.?

AMO

Old January 14th 05, 01:57 PM
Steven Campbell

But in general, all I.T. stuff is generally cheaper over there. Also
a good place to get dodgy software especially down Petaling Street.
It costs 1 / CD. These days, its just as easy to use broadband to
download it from P2P networks though.

In general, the more high tech / top of the range the gizmo, the more
of a saving you'll make. As MP3 players are now used en masse in the
West, bottom range items won't be much cheaper.

AMO

CDs. DVDs Watches Sunglasses from Petaling Street, KL and Batu

Ferringhi,
Penang ---all copies of course, though the quality can be very very good.

Just sounds exactly like the Barras in Glasgow ;o)

Steven.

Old January 14th 05, 04:04 PM
Gizmo

"AMO" wrote in message

Also, when coming back from the airport. I can't remember how much of a
discount you get on fags from Malaysia, but a box of 200 fags from

Singapore
costs 5. I don't smoke, but I believe that its costs 2-3 per 20 fag
packed in the U.K.?

LOL !! and some fella. Pack of 20 costs closer to 5 a pack

Old January 14th 05, 05:21 PM
Mark I

"Mark I" wrote in message
Hello

A family member is travelling to Malaysia this weekend and I was wondering
if anyone knew whether he'd be able to pick me up a bargain MP3 player
there? Anyone been or knows what else is v cheap?

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies. I'll do my shopping list tonight )

Old January 14th 05, 08:31 PM
Stephen

Last time I went to KL it had all gone underground at the night market for
DVD's and CD's it was better in the shopping centres theres an IT shopping
centre by the monorail station can't remember the name 2nd floor though.
Cameras were a lot cheaper.

Old January 14th 05, 08:32 PM
Wira One

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 11:27:38 +0000, Mark I wrote:

Hello

A family member is travelling to Malaysia this weekend and I was wondering
if anyone knew whether he'd be able to pick me up a bargain MP3 player
there? Anyone been or knows what else is v cheap?

Thanks

If you're looking for PC stuffs, check out www.lowyat.net .. you can get
bargain for some but not all. LowYat is located near to the BintangWalk
(Bukit Bintang area) and the new Berjaya shopping Mall.